Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Building a Table need a true measurement

Options
mando
mando Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Building a table for a large, I am ready to cut hole in top (21" is standard but was thinking 22" for alittle more room)also I am installing the second shelve and I'm not sure if i should go finish height 15" from table top to table top or 13 1/2" because of concrete block?

Any suggestions

Thanks

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't have a table, but just wanted to mention, you need the patio block AND three green feet. You need both, so that will raise it a bit.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    You definately want the block underneath...height is kind of a personal preference...I got mine about as low as it can go and still get your fingers around the handle....as far as cutting the hole, I took my bands off the egg and used them to mark the hole to be cut, my egg is very tight to the edge of the hole, you have to decide how close your comfortable with...
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Not sure where you got your info, but you do not need the green feet. Putting an EGG® on a concrete paver in a table is the recommended way to go.
  • grillmandan
    Options
    I build lots of tables for retail.
    21" hole is fine, but top of bottom shelf to bottom of top should be 16 inches. Allows for stone and feet.
    You can find many pic on this site of burnt tables from not using the feet. If you are not fond of the feet, like me, the use a 12" tile under the stone with some broken tile pieces as spacers between the stone and tile. This will give you the required air space and more stability for the egg.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Bobby-Q wrote:
    Not sure where you got your info, but you do not need the green feet. Putting an EGG® on a concrete paver in a table is the recommended way to go.

Hmm. I got my info from the pics I've seen here of burned tables because they used only a paver without feet, or vice versa. That and the countless posts I've seen recommending both.

Pat (paver, no feet) was lucky...
    101_2118.jpg

Fishlessman, feet, no paver, not so much...
    2005_0104Image0008.jpg

If I ever get around to building a table, I know I will have both... at least!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 86
    Options
    I do not have a table, but I would suggest that you make the hole at least 3/4 to 1 of an inch larger than needed. When you cook at higher temperatures (pizza and steaks) the outside of the egg is going to get hot. Wood starts to lose it water moister at 212 degrees. Over multiple cookings, the moister will be drawn out and the temperature of the wood will increase at a faster rate. Once the wood reaches 540 degrees the wood will ignite. Cooking a pizza at 600 degrees in the egg on my nest, the outside of the egg registered in the 450 to 490 range. You want to have cooling area so the wood does not start to burn and you lose your table and God knows what else. I would think that the mother ship could tell you exactly how much space they recommend for cooling space around the egg. I would go with that number for your safety.
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Bobby-Q wrote:

I've seen way too many pics of burnt tables to risk not having the feet with my setup. Better safe than sorry.
  • Memphistide
    Options
    Make sure you measure the depth with the egg open because the hinges drop when you open it. the most common mistake is for people who do not clear it enough to open
  • mando
    mando Posts: 5
    Options
    I appreciate all the comments thus far!! Thanks

What is the open measurement. i do not have the egg yet so can't measure.

Thaks
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    I see the burn from the feet, but not from the concrete paving stone.

Regardless, the tables are designed for and the recommendation is for the paving stone only.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Bobby, if your talking about the top pic that was my table. You might not be able to tell from the pics but I had to sand it down about 3/8" to get the burn marks out and only found it because I was refinishing the table.

This was the paver

101_2117.jpg

as you can tell the table was ready for a refinish

101_2119.jpg

There's no doubt, in my mind at least, that I would have had a problem down the road.
  • EggerFromIowa
    Options
    Mondo, You may want to try the table forum. It's geared more toward these table type questions.