Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Deer on the Egg?

Deetwood
Deetwood Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Are hams good smoked? What other ways do you guys cook deer meat on the egg?

Comments

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Deetwood,
    consider your egg a bottom broiler oven
    when setup for indirect it is a convection oven (bake)
    anything you can cook in your kitchen oven can be done on the egg.
    cook at the same temps and times you would use in the litchen.

• Deetwood,
    I just cooked a venison roast on the Egg on Sunday. Here is what I did. I marinated the roast in Cape Cod Angus Marinade, cow lick rub and a bottle of Brown ale. I brought the Egg up to 325 and rubbed the raost down with a combo of Dizzy Pig's Cow Lick and Home BBQ's Garlic Lover's. I placed the roast on a raised grate and cooked direct until the internal temp was 140° F. I placed my left over marinade in a pan and reduced. Served the venison sliced thin with gravy on a plate with grilled asparagus, wild rice. Man I wish I took a picture! Next time for sure!

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Deetwood,[p]do the steaks just like it were beef steaks, but shoot for medium rare or they dry out pretty quick. as far as the roasts that is a prime piece to make jerky from. more than likley you will not find a piece of meat this lean. one other thing you can try that is pretty good and goes great with beer and football is chislic. simply cut into small cubes, skewer them, and deep fry for a couple minutes. lay out on a paper towel and and use salt or whatever to season.[p]Scott

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Deetwood,tenderloin wrapped in bacon and chili. terriyaki marinades go good with some of the tougher cuts if grilled thin

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Deetwood,[p]I have a friend who wants to bring some deer meat over and try Deer Jerky. I am considering giving it a shot.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    jerky.jpg
    <p />Bob,[p]I do venison jerky quite a bit. My brother is the hunter in the family and I think it is his favorite way to use a lot of the cuts. Here's a photo and the recipe I use.[p]1 cup soy sauce
    1 cup teriaki sauce
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup molassas
    1/4 cup honey
    Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Spicy Rub, I use Big Bubbas Chipotle
    Pepper[p]Spices are all to taste. I probably use a teaspoon of each and maybe a little heavy on the rub.[p]I marinate for at least 24 hours and try for 48 or so mixing it up several times a day.[p]If you like it spicy, I do, sprinkle a little rub on the surface. [p]Chuck[p]

• Chuck,
    That looks great. I am getting some venison tomorrow. What temp and time did you use for the jerky? Direct or indirect?[p]

• Deetwood,
    As lean as deer meat is, it will make some good jerky. [p]Jerry

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Chuck,[p]Thanks for the recipe and pictures. That does look good.[p]

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    NutmEGGer,[p]I do it indirect over an inverted plate setter. You want to keep the temp below 200°, you are drying it more than cooking it. I cut mine a little less than 1/4" and it usually takes about 6 hours. It really depends on how thick you cut it and how dry you want it. [p]You can over dry the venison so keep and eye on it. I think it's the low fat content and you will get venison crackers instead of jerky if you over do it. Really good stuff though.[p]Chuck

• Deetwood,
    Maybe I am too simple but I have found that venison and mesquite smoke is hard to beat. I do venison steaks 1/2 to 5/8's thick a little kosher salt to medium rare is unbeatable. You will never want to make jerky again! Keep to the medium rare. Medium to well loses alot of flavor. Strange but true. [p]If you have a problem eating venison at medium rare remember this venison is natural and organic unlike most beef and pork that is hormone injected for faster growth.[p]Long Live the EGG!