Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Lump Reducing Ring

Options
Boombotty
Boombotty Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
Does anyone use one of these in their XL? I am having a hard time keeping the temps in my XL around 225 on long smokes, it keeps spiking higher. I don't have this issue with my large, so didn't know if it was because the firebox is so large on the XL.
Also, the ceramic store has an open and solid wall ring, which one would work better for long smokes?
Thanks,
Scott

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have one and it works great but I don't use it for low temp long cooks. I have the SS ring model.
    My XL holds very solid at 240-250 indirect temp at the dome. If you are shooting for 225 dome indirect your grate temp is only around 200 and there is no real need to cook this low. For low and slow I only start the lump in two places and I'm very careful not to over shoot 250 at start up. It's easy to over stoke the XL trying to bring all the ceramics up to temp and then it runs away a little. My low and slow set up time is at least 60 minutes. Hope this helps a little.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Boombotty
    Options
    Thanks Darian, that helps. I tend to fire mine up a little higher before I put the wood on and light in 3 spots. I'll try your way next time.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    With lump ring. Need to take some more photos with the ring. I use it all the time for direct cooking.
    lumpring002.jpg
    lumpring004.jpg
    lumpring005.jpg
    lumpring006.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DrewDown
    Options
    Darian, Can you tell me a little more about the wok/pan in the last picture. It looks interesting and I haven't seen one before. Thanks.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    egginator's cheapo adjustable lump reducer... Four bricks

Xegginators_smokebox.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    hey how about some info on that last setup?? is it a wok on some type of ring??
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    It's a "Weber" :whistle: 22" SS Wok.
    They are now discontinued but are a great product and show up on Ebay and craigs List.
    They also made a 18" that will fit in the large Egg.
    The ring it is sitting on is my XL flip ring from Ceramic Grill Store. Just got lucky, it fits perfect.
    IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    Options
    I use the open wall version and it works great on my cooks
  • stevesails
    Options
    I have an XL and a lump reducing ring, The problem with using the ring, you have to get all of the old lump out and dthen just fill up the ring.

It is good to use for a couple burgers, steaks, or chicken breasts, but the clean out and fill up is a pain (dirty job). I find it easier to just dump in some lump, light in the middle and shut it down when done.

I havn't used it for a long cook.

and haveing said all that if it were to wear out or break ( a very slip chance of that happening) I would not replace it. I would have bought a BGE pizza stone. ( a wish list)
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    I have also the lump reducing but.

A great tool. But as written, I´m not sure, if it helps with your temp problem. btw, I never have had this problem, the XL maintain the low and slow temps great. Just look, that ya don´t get to high, during egg warming phase.