Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2010 Pumpkin Carving Test

stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Couple folks on here usually ask about the pumpkin every year. Here's a test (a "cartoon" study). One of two ideas we have (my youngest son and I) for the pumpkin.

"The Whaler Recompense"

The_Whaler_Recompense.jpg

This is cobbled together from reference photos and oversketching.

The idea is that there are parallel harvests taking place here. The Whaling ship and its two longboats are aliens in the world belonging to the whale, and they are there to take him... But the flying saucers, aliens too, arrive and attack, harvesting the harvesters themselves.

The 'front' of the pumpkin would have the large UFO at the top, men in the longboats on the bottom, and would show the tractor beam and the ship far in the background. the ocean would wrap around, and the whale at left will be around the side, just out of frame on the front, getting away.

This is an enlarged detail, pretty much what the front of the pumpkin will be

Whalers_DETAIL.jpg

The other idea isn't cartooned yet. It's a pirate ship's stern, very close to camera, in silhouette, but with lights glowing in the cabin and on deck. Skeleton pirates in silhouette on the rigging preparing to overtake a ship in the distance. Might not have a chance to even cartoon it, supposed to be working.

Here's my helper and my idea man, with this year's subject....

pumpkinhunting2010.jpg

He just turned 8... and understood the whole "alien" is-a-relative-term-thing without any prodding. Pointed at the whalers and said "they are aliens too, to the whale". thought that was cool...
anyway.

so that's where we are. hope to have time to carve it this week, maybe wednesday/thursday
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Really great to see that you are back at the pumpkin carving think.

Can hardly wait to see the results.

Thanks...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've seen your carving, Jeff, and was impressed!! I haven't carved one in years (my boys are, umm, a bit older than yours), but was lucky if mine looked as good as this...

41590525.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your latest!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stike
    hell, i carved them BEFORE i had kids. hahaha

they have gotten a little more involved though, past few years
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have a plastic one with a light bulb. I hang it in the bay window. :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stike
    we'll see if i can find the time. we were deciding which idea to go with and my son suggested "why don't you just do them both?"
    hahaha

oy
  •  
    That is looking awesome Jeff, I can't wait to see it. Well, actually I can but you know what I mean. :laugh:

I like the way your son thinks. Several years ago I got into a debate with a retired doctor friend about the right or lacking there of to hunt and kill whales. One of my points was "What right do we have to hunt, kill and slaughter a species before we can even determine it's sentience/sapience? We can hear their song/language but are not smart enough ourselves yet to be able to understand it." He couldn't argue. When I saw your illustration and read your description of the different harvests it brought back memories of that conversation. Isn't your use of the pumpkin one more harvest? LOL.

Blair