Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner Recommendations? Help!

RGBHV
RGBHV Posts: 1,318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have some guests coming over for dinner tomorrow.

I picked up a rack of veal, a crown roast, and some ground kobe beef.

The question is; which one should I cook for dinner? Any recommendations on the cook? And, any recommendations on sides?

Michael

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I'm curious. What's the point of ground kobe beef?

As for sides - I'm partial to sauteed spinach with garlic and parmesan or asparagus for veggies. For starch couscous or orzo. Maybe even a nice mushroom risotto.
  • RGBHV
    I got the ground kobe beef to try it out - I thought I'd use it to make up some burgers, some meat balls, some red sauce with ground beef for a pasta dish or maybe some sort of stroganoff.

I figure I have the choice of 3 different mains for dinner tomorrow. I'd like to pick one and try it out! I'm leaning towards the ground beef as it will be (could be) something different.

Michael
  • Fidel
    Assuming there is a discernible flavor difference between ground kobe and ground beef I wouldn't think you would want to cover it up with sauces or seasonings or heavy toppings on a burger. The idea would be to make the beef itself the star of the show.

But that's just me. The only Kobe I've had has been in the form of steaks - so I really don't know what I'm talking about, just thinking out loud here to make everyone think I'm a jerk and picking on you (which I'm not, but I can see how it might look that way). Well, OK, maybe I am a jerk, but I'm most assuredly not picking on you. At least not on purpose.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I agree with not covering up that great meat. Let it shine on it's own. Simple seasonings.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RGBHV
    Think out loud all you want. I asked for recommendations and you're offering your recommendation. Point taken. No offence taken.

I will say that I had a burger in Vancouver last week and it was probably the most amazing burger I've had in my life. I wish I knew know how they made the ground beef. Although there were lots of toppings on the burger, the flavours all seemed to work together. I will concede that the burger could have stood on it's own.

Just saying.

Michael
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    What a Jerk!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Michael,

I would go with the veal rack but that is just me. Starsky's?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    You know how I love to offend Canadians
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i've had ground kobe sliders.... excellent. basically saves you the chewing. :laugh:

cooked more than rare is criminal. like putting an ice cube in red wine
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i find you're not so much a jerk as you are an asshat, or thimbled!ck
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RGBHV
    Starsky's - absolutely - the butcher made up a crown roast for me and brought a rack of veal out at the same time insisting that I try it.

If you were to go with the veal - how would you cook it? would you use a sauce? what kind? side recommendations? Oh what the hell - do you just want to come down here and cook it - I'm sure you'll do a better job than I? Ha! Ha!

Michael
  • Little Steven
    Is it red or white?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Stuffed Kobe beef burgers with bacon, red onion and blue cheese. Smooshy buns with lettuce, tomato, no condiment really necessary! Enjoy the day :-)
  • Fidel
    words hurt, you know.
  • RGBHV
    I didn't ask but it looks white to me.

F.Y.I. - they've started to carry a bunch of beef from the Beretta Ranch.

Michael
  • Little Steven
    I would treat it as a prime rib. If it is white I would definitely go no higher than 275* indirect. Make sure you space off a drip pan do you dont burn the drippings. If you want to get fancy, you can crust it with panko and parmesan. I wouldn't do anything but salt and pepper myself. Do a reduction of beef stock or veal and add the stuff from the deglazed drip pan. Roasted garlic mashed potatoes with sour cream. Cut the rack into chops and lay the chop on the mashed. Circle the plate with the gravy. Call me if you want.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I am probably late to this party, however we like crown roast of pork, thanks to YB hooking us several years ago. Beautiful meal and presentation dish.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=636653&catid=1
  • RGBHV
    Thanks Richard...

That's a big crown..I like the candy store too!

Michael
  • RGBHV
    Thanks Steve!

Michael
  • Little Steven
    No problem. I noticed today that Knorr Swiss is selling concentrated liquid stock, no veal but you could use beef stock and chicken broth combined. Zehrs.

Steve 

Caledon, ON