Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Question

Options
JerseyEgger
JerseyEgger Posts: 315
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw the vid on VWB on spatchcocking. Should I brine before or after I butterfly the bird, or does it even matter?
-Eddie

Comments

• Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Options
    IMHO I wouldn't even worry about brining. If cooked to the right temp, that yard bird will be mighty juicy.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Don't brine, better to leave uncovered in fridge overnight and produces better skin....
    It is going to be juicy....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Mickey wrote:
    Don't brine, better to leave uncovered in fridge overnight and produces better skin....
    It is going to be juicy....

What he said. To me, there is no easier, or better way to do a whole chicken.
  • JerseyEgger
    Options
    LOL I didnt want to turn this into another brine or no brine thread. I'll rephrase the question.. Spatchcock before or after the overnight in the fridge? :laugh:
    -Eddie
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    What Mickey said, although overnite in the fridge certainly won't hurt, I find3-4 hrs is plenty. Put some rub on first, the salt helps the drying process.

It will be the best chicken you ever ate :woohoo:
  • JerseyEgger
    Options
    OK OK I wont brine!!! :side:
    -Eddie
  • Davecooksslow
    Options
    i don't think it would make much difference. I brine when I have planned far enough ahead. If not, dry well in fridge for 3 or 4 hrs, if I've planned that far ahead.
    Dave in Plumas County
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    depends on how you set the bird in the fridge....if you can set whole (not spatchcock) with full skin exposed that is ok, if not spatch and lay skin side up.

On brining, check the package label. chances are the bird has already been injected. good to get in the habit to check chicken and pork in the store for "solution added" type phrases.....if possible, I try to avoid those cuts!
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.