Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mignons and taters

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mornin!!
Tim again swung by yesterday with more goodies. Brought me a bottle of Chimay, and a couple filet mignons for lunch (I like this guy!).[p]We seared the filets up on Junior, and since we were gabbing, the times went 4-4-1 (lost track of the searing times during our conversations). The results were eggcellent, and right up Tim's alley with the nice char they received he is the true "Char-Boy"![p]Anyway, we made up a batch of the thin sliced potatoes with JJs rub, and cooked them on Mr. Big, while the steaks cooked on junior. Tim said I should post the recipe, and he took some photos.[p]Very Sinmple and Good Potato Recipe:
Peel, and slice potatoes (been using white) about 1/8-1/4 inch thick.
Rub generously with olive oil.
Lay on plate and sprinkle one side with JJs rub.
Put on grill rub side down, and apply rub to other side of potatoes on grill. (I use 2 grates turned 90 degrees to each other so the slices don't fall thru)
Grill at 400-500 until browned well on each side (maybe 5 minutes a side). [p]Here of the link to Tim's picture (nice new camera BTW)[p]Cheers!!
NB

[ul][li]Potatoes with JJ's Rub[/ul]
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Sounds great, especially that bottle of Chimay. I tried that potatoe cooking method last night only I used thick cut Vadalia Onions. I oiled them down, applied the rub, and placed them on the grill, turning them once and applying a bit more rub. Pretty good stuff. I was going to try your potatoes but when I looked into the pantry there were none. So, I did with what I had. Give the onions a shot, that cooking method works great with the sweet vadalias. Potatoes on tap for this evening with some pork I'm 'sperimentin with.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    sprinter,
    Sounds like the potatoes and onions would go very well in tandem!! I might just have to try them both at the same time. Great idea on the onions.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Add some peppers (green, red, orange and/or yellow) to those potatoes and onions! I do this in the grill basket. Can't be beat. How about one of them big, gorgeous Portobello caps, too? Help! Somebody stop me!!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Gretl,[p]This is starting to sound suspiciously like a stir fry isnt it? Man, I'm hungry now.[p]Troy
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    potato-jj.jpg
    <p />Nature Boy,[p]Ahh, you forgot to post the picture. These were very good - diffrent - very good!!! They have a campfire / cookout taste to them. I added even more JJ's rub to the finished ones- yummy. Worth a try![p]Tim
  • Anthony Up North
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Eggscuse me for asking a dumb question. You said you did your Filets 4-4-1. Translate that for me. I am interested in learning how to make good Fillets (my wife will love me more because that is her favorite steak) [p]Thanks for your patience with someone trying to catch up to you eggsperts.[p]Anthony Up North

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Eggscuse me for asking a dumb question while I am trying to catch up to you eggsperts. What did you mean when you said you did your fillets "4-4-1"? Translate that for me. My wife loves fillets, and she would love me more and you if you would explain how you do them on the grill. I'm always looking for ways to improve my techniques.[p]Thanks much.[p]Anthony UP North

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Anthony Up North,[p]I can answer that one. 4-4-1 means sear for 4 min one one side, sear for 4 min on the other side and dwell in the Egg for 1 min. He did them on a small Egg. The steaks were 2" thick so that's why the 4 min per side. They turned out perfect - good job NB![p]Tim