Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Consumption....L vs S

Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question for all owners of both Large and Small Eggs.

What are your thoughts on lump consumption, comparatively?

I have always used my Small primarily for grilling hot/fast as well as an occassional vertical chicken. Recently in effort to cut back on lump usage, I have done a couple of small butts on the Small. Each time it has taken every ounce of lump in the firebox, filled to the ring. It goes about 10-11 hrs at 250deg. It seems to me the Large may actually use LESS. Usually I light the Large in one place and get a 5-6" diameter burn to the bottom, with the remaining lump unburned. Seems like a fairly small amount.

Could the Large with more ceramic mass be a more efficient unit?....

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Ron, I don't have a small, but when I do a 250° lo n slo on the large, I fill it to the top of the fire box. Always have at least half of it left over. Even after a 14-16 hour cook.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Thanks for the insight. ;)
  • tjl5709
    tjl5709 Posts: 76
    I think it is a push when doing low/slow. The fire box is so much smaller, that the quantity consumed about equals the large that is consumed. Then again, I have not tried doing a butt with my small. I don't think it is as capable as my large for that. The low/slowest I do on the small is car wash mike ribs.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    I'd say the small uses 1/4th the amount of the large.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Sorry I wasted your time.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I have both, two sets actually, one in FL and the other in Cincy. This is the ideal setup for me.
    Like you, I mostly do quick cooks on the small, have never done a lo & slo other than a couple of fatties or something that takes no more than 2-3 hrs
    One thing I have found on the smalls is how much faster they come up to temp. Lighting with a MAPP torch I
    can be ready to cook in ten minutes, as opposed to at least 30 on the large.
    I also agree that the mass of the large holds the heat better and is more condusive to opening for basting, etc, than the small,so it is more condusive to lo&slo.
    If I were doing nothing but steaks and chicken, there is no doubt the small would use much less lump than the large, but that is assuming I am cooking the same amount of food. Lbs/bags of lump per lbs of food? The large will win every time. Just my .02

Very interesting question, thanks for posting B)
  • Bacchus
    You never waste my time Carolina. It's always a pleasure.
  • Bacchus
    Thanks....maybe Granpa or someone who is more into the science of egging than I am will weigh in.
  • I've made many pork butts on the Small, with the Guru, but have never done them on the Large! I'm completely satisfied with the whole process. There's always some used lump left, but not a whole lot.

And for me, the Large comes up to temperature so fast I have to stick around or it'll be at 800° in 10 minutes. Really! I use a Mapp torch exclusively.

The Small takes much longer to get to 400°, and never gets above 600°, if that high, and not because of ash buildup or plugged holes or not stacking the lump just right. I even tried a bellows at the bottom vent but that didn't produce a steady temp. I know some Smalls get much higher but I'm not one of the lucky ones.

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • I have only done one low and slow on my small compared to many on my large. I packed the small as well as I could, and did a an overnight pork butt for about 12 hours. It seems like more than half was left when I was done. I was actually scratching my head wondering how it cooked that long with so little lump. I dont think it is possible that the small egg uses more lump when its mass is half that of the large. Based on weight I would say it uses half the lump of the large to heat its own weight up. But the cooking capacity of the large is more than double. It would be interesting to weigh the charcoal before and after for both, I suppose that would be one of the best ways to tell.

Wow, that would just take the weirdness that is the egghead to a whole new level. Our spouses and friends look at us now with that funny look, wait until they see us weighing our charcoal before and after cooks. :blush:
  • Judy, my small is like yours (or was). I fashioned an aluminum foil rope (Grandpas Grub's idea), and put it on top of the fire box, under the fire ring. It plugs the air gap and forces all air through the fire grate for combustion instead of allowing any to go around the fire box and ring. I also tossed the BGE fire grate and made my own from expanded metal. It provides much better airflow. Add in a weed burner, and my small is ready to go fast. I was going to cook some burgers a few weeks ago, and our plans changed. I forgot and went to shut off the small after lighting 30 minutes before. I found this:

f93ff5e1.jpg

So my small takes more planning to get hot compared to my other three eggs, but it does it, I just have to kick it in the butt to get there.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    ive had the small for several years now, it shines as a grill, not so much as a smoker. its slow to light, doesn't get to really high temps like the large, it is what it is. if you really want to use less lump on low and slows learn to do them direct, raised grid, minimal lump in the large, it really uses less lump, alot less lump. with the direct cook you dont use as much getting the indirect setup hot, you run the egg at lower heat and dont have to maintain the higher heat of 250, a 220 cook will come in in about the same time frame. you do have to watch things a little closer with the direct cook but ribs are doable, even pork butts, havent tried brisket yet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it