Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tenderloin question

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To all:[p]I made tenderloins yesterday (two bourbon marinated and two char-crusted) and while good, they were a tick dry for my taste. [p]My question is, at what temp do you pull your tenderloins? I have been told my whole life to pull at 160 and rest for 10 minutes. BGE.com says to pull at 160 as well.[p]I'd like to know what you guys do...

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    If your talking "pork" tenderloin, I tend to pull mine in the 145° intenal range. Other than my "Jerk" pork which is cut into cubes...HTH[p]Wess

• Mark Backer
    Options
    WessB,[p]I was thinking pulling them at 150 next time. Your info of pulling yours at 145 will give me and eggsellent the confidence to do that. I appreciate it.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    slicedtenderloins.jpg
    <p />Mark Backer,[p]Just to give you more confidence, I always pull my pork tenderloins at 145. It takes people a while to get used seeing juicy pork, but they get over it pretty quickly once they see how good it tastes.[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Pork Tenderloin[/ul]
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    WessB,
    Yep ... 145. Probably finishes in the upper 140's with an aluminum foil wrap rest.
    As Alton Brown says "This isn't your momma's pork." My mother made me cook her's until 180. The rest of us enjoyed a juicy medium rare to medium tenderloin.[p]Happy cookin'
    Doug

• Mark Backer
    Options
    TRex,[p]You took the words right out of my mouth about the moist pork. When gassing, moist means raw. When Egging, moist means delicious. [p]On a similar track, last night when i did the four tenderloins, my sister in law poked at the serving platter and mentioned the "pink around the meat." My bride (who used to suffer from this affliction) told her "that's a smoke ring. If it were pink due to being underdone, the pink would be on the inside." [p]Ah, the blind naivite of the non-eggers...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    with my old inaccurate therm i would go to 150 to be safe, but with the thermapen, 140-142 is fine

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • egghead2004
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Gotta agree with everyone else, 145-150 for me. I did two last night. One for the wife with crushed garlic, salt and pepper, cooked to 160. Then mine, coated with dizzy dust, cooked to 145.
    I cooked them on the small with a pan of water underneath so it was an indirect steam bath, and a chunck of apple wood for smoke. Dome @ 325-340. Both turned out great, but the 145 was much more tender and juicy.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]I do mine direct on a raised grid to 145°. Here's my favorite recipe for them...[p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]Coffee Crusted Pork Tenderloins[/ul]
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    egghead2004,[p]I am counting the days until I get my small, and I'll be doing the same, plus some even better steaks!![p]Had bacon wrapped scallops off the egg yesterday thanks to the bro-in-law, and they were (surprise) amazing.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    that '160' rule is with regard to fending off trichinosis.[p]since no one's died from that in 40 years or so, i think the 'foodie' community has relaxed it's guard. i think 'officially' the safe temp is 160, but at 160, pork is like balsa wood to me.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • a stick
    Options
    QBabe,[p]What a coincidence. I printed off the PDF of recipes from Eggfest and made your coffee crusted tenderloin last night. I thought it was going to be too strong on the coffee, but I followed the rub recipe to a "t" anyway ...[p]Well, the tenderloin turned out wonderful. I lo-n-slo'ed 2 tenderloins from 4:45pm - 6:30pm. I went indirect at 250, tenderloins were 1.2 #'s each. At 6:30 the internal temp was 160.[p]What a unique (and tasty) recipe![p]astick
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    astick,[p]Actually, that recipe is a modification of a modification of an original Raichlen recipe that I tried once. It's one of those instances where I liked his, then started adding and taking away a little of this and a little of that, until I got it where I liked it. [p]Glad you liked my version...[p]Tonia
    :~)