Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs over the Weekend

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]Nothing special cooked this weekend but thought I'd break up the posts about pork butts and pork ribs with a little bit of beef.[p]Was at Wally World this weekend with my son and we spied some late dated beef ribs in the cooler. We picked them up and took them home with us. Threw some rub on them, 4 racks,, put them in the cooker indirect about 250 for 5 1/2 hours, sauced them the last 45 minutes, and had them for dinner.[p]I swear, if I had to choose beef ribs or pork ribs for the rest of my life I'd pick beef ribs every time and twice on Sunday. Those are some good eats. Nice and meaty, AWESOME flavor, and easy to cook. I cook more beef ribs than pork ribs and the family likes it that way.[p]Just thought I'd share a bit. Like I said, nothing special but if anyone has thought about cooking beef ribs and have not, I would highly encourage you to try. You wont be disappointed.[p]Troy

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    sprinter,
    I agree with you about cooking beef ribs. What we use are the uncut short ribs, usually 4 to a slab, about 8 inches long. Are you talking about these? I've also seen longer and larger racks of beef ribs that are trimmed to the bone with very little fat on them. We've found that lo-n-slo doesn't work for these.

• Eggvis
    Eggvis Posts: 94
    Options
    sprinter,

The last two times I worked with beef ribs, i found that they were very fat laden. I threw most of them out because trying to find the meat after going through the trouble of cooking them, just made me angry. Even the wife said that they were extra fatty. I 'm sure we had cheap ribs, but even still....I became a fan of pork ribs. What should I look for when buying beef ribs?
    Paul

• sprinter
    Options
    Marvin,[p]These are the beef short ribs, about 4 inches long, cryovacked two slabs to pack. Total rack of ribs is about 18 inches long and has about 8 ribs in it. I occasionally see the ribs as you are mentioning but it often seems like they are so trimmed of meat that all you are buying is bone. I bought some of those one time for some soup and I'm glad thats all I was getting them for. Had I tried to cook them it would have been very difficult as they were trimmed VERY VERY close to the bone. Wish I could find some 8 inch beef rib bones around here, I think I'd fill a freezer wiht them.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    Options
    Eggvis,[p]Beef ribs seem to be a bit more marbled than are pork ribs but a low slow cook will render a lot of that fat out of them, just like you do in pork ribs or butts.[p]I dont look for anything in particular other than how much meat is between the rib bones. If they are trimmed real close I stay away from them otherwise I've usually had pretty good luck with any of them I cook.[p]Troy
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    Eggvis,
    if you cook them longer they will be less fatty. when im cooking them, i eat one at the five hour mark, and one every half hour until i like them.they have been on up to the 8 hour mark.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it