Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this edible

Options
jemrx
jemrx Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found 4 of these mushrooms by my wood pile
CIMG2469.jpg
CIMG2474.jpg

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    wow! :woohoo:
    context is important :)
  • stevesails
    Options
    i had 4 of those in my backyard also.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• lowercasebill
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_puffball

unless you are a trained mushroom hunter do not eat it .. no matter how sure you think you are.
    there is no antidote if you are wrong and it is a horrible death..

that said it looks like the above referenced.

please don't eat it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Its a giant puffball. I've had 2 this season.

There is a noxious mushroom that looks like it when they are both small. Small ones cut in half that are poisonous have an internal structure that shows the spreading cap they will eventually have. Puffballs do not.

Any mushroom that you try for the first time should first be tasted in small quantities. Some people have bad reactions to morels, for instance.

Cut off any bug-bite marks, peel the thin outer skin. Fry in butter, which they soak up like a sponge. I also understand they can be breaded and fried.
  • jetmech
    jetmech Posts: 75
    Options
    I've had them breaded and fried numerous times, mostly they are tasteless and not worth the effort, at least IMO. If you slice it, the inside should be very white, if it's not, it's on it's way to being too old. Generally for fall mushrooms I stick with the Hen of the Woods (aka sheephead) and buttons.
  • Tank_NZ
    Tank_NZ Posts: 53
    Options
    Whilst its great doing the 'hunting / gathering' thing - unless you know 100% what mushroom it is - the downsides really are not worth it.

We have people die every year from eating the wrong mushroom.

Personally - Ill grow my own from known stock - or buy 'em.

Good luck !
  • Gator Bait
    Options

WOW, that is HUGE! Looks like there is no mistaking it for anything but a Giant Puffball, I would give it a try. If it taste good you have hit the mother load, if tastless or just so so I wouldn't bother with it. God luck, that's an interesting find.

• Margie
    Margie Posts: 52
    Options
    We have those in Illinois and call them puff balls, they are edible but to many may cause a fast run to the bathroom so be cautious. They are ok but nothing to write home about
    Margie