Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you get crispy with indirect?

Pjoe
Pjoe Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK another question - If I have my Egg set up for indirect cooking how do I get a crispy skin on the yard bird?
LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING

Comments

• Are you cooking a whole chicken or parts? If whole chicken, are you cooking it whole or spatchcocked/butterflied? horiziontal or vertical?

providing this information will help you get an answer that's appropriate for you.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Pour the heat to it.

When I do chicken indirect (which is pretty infrequently) I get best results when I cook at 475-500&deg.

But the best chicken for my tastes is cooked at about 400-425° on a raised grid in a direct setup.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    As Fidel, I cook direct 400/425 high on adj rig, skin side up and never turn. Spatchcocked. Not saying Fidel will do all this, just my way added to his...
    I also have it uncovered in fridge overnight.
    Get good skin.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I agree with Fidel's method, however, I usually cook pieces or quarters.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • I also use a similar approach to Fidel. However, I will usually do spatchcock and flip the chicken, skin side down for the last 10 minutes. I also have a cast iron pizza pan I've had good luck heating it up on the stove and then placing it over the spatchcocked bird to sear the skin.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I'm not a fan of the taste of smoke from burnt chicken fat so I cook them indirect with a drip pan. I use a raised grid to get them higher in the dome. Usually I'm just doing leg quarters cooked at 350-400 for about an hour and a half until 195 internal. Tender meat and good crisp skin. -RP
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    pjoe, I have learned from the others here on the raised direct at 400F. It works so good that way. I had to go indirect one time when I had 5 spatchcock cut in half grilling at once too much dripping in my fire. ;) Tim
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I am with AZRP on this one. High in the grid, indirect, skin side up, never flip. Good crispy skin every time. :cheer:
  • jdwhit
    jdwhit Posts: 15
    I like leg quarters. I go indirect with the dome at 400 for an hour to an hour and fifteen. If the skin is not crispy when the quarters are ready to come off, I fire up my propane weed burner and toast them just a bit. Crisps up the skin every time and leaves the leg quarters so juicy they drip.
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Thanks AZRP and others. Like you, I don't particularly care for the taste and smell of burnt chicken fat. Thus my question on indirect. I hope to get a raised grid this weekend so I'll try the higher in the dome thing and see if that helps the skin and smoke taste.
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Leave it uncovered in fridge for at least an hour to "dry" the skin and it will crisp up nicely
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Really HI heat. ;) 500-600 degrees dome.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Sure I'll get cussed for this.Best leg quarters I ever ate came off a Weber Kettle.HANDS DOWN!!! ;) I can get em on the Egg but it is a PITA!!!Sad But SO! :)