Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moose

NU2BBQ
NU2BBQ Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What particular cut of Moose would lend itself well to smoking? I've done Venison roasts before that came out well but never a Moose. I need to figure out what to tell the butcher to do besides the normal steaks, ground, etc. Any advice/ideas?

Thanks

Bob

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    This old Kentucky/Florida boy is sitting here racking his brain to give you a reply, but I'm sorry, I guess I'm just no help on this one! :laugh: :ohmy: :P :woohoo:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    NU2BBQ

Rib roast is good. Chuck low and slow. You need to lard it or wrap in bacon.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I had a customer, a few years back, give me some moose. The package only read moose steaks. I did them hot and quick and they were like butter and delish!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • I have only ever done steaks and a roast (thinking it was a chuck, judging by the cut).
    I did as Steve mentioned above, somewhat, with bacon as a cap. However, I also did a marinade for a few hours too. It was fab....
  • NU2BBQ
    NU2BBQ Posts: 98
    Little Steven, thanks for that info, I think I'll go with the chuck. Moose was taken Saturday (opening day in NH) and is at the butchers now.

Everyone else thanks for helping.