Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who put the Goo in the Guru?

Options
Deckhand
Deckhand Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today, when I went to set the damper on my Pit Viper, the slide was stuck. There was a thin coating of dried stuff (thinner version of drip pan drippings) on the slide and connecting tube. I was able to force the slide to move and worked it back and forth until it moved somewhat freely. There had been moisture dripping from the fan when I disconnected from my last cook 5 days ago but I thought I cleaned all. Today, there was half a teaspoon or so of moisture in the fan. Doesn't bother me if it won't hurt the fan. Doesn't seem to be the place for WD-40 :ohmy: Anyone else experience this. P.S. wasn't using a water pan either day.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Deckhand, I have had moisture drip out of mine and I usually turn it down so the water will drip out. I think some have said their fan had ice on it in the winter but, I haven't seen that here in middle Tennessee. I don't know about spraying WD-40 on it probably won't hurt anything but, I think I would come closer to using a light film of vegetable oil on the slider (damper). Good luck what ever you do. Tim :)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    With the Guru design the adapter and fan are the bottom vent.
    Don't know why they did not angle the adapter up to avoid the condensation issue.
    Makes a mess in my storage box as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I wonder if a well placed drain hole drilled close to the edge would solve that - though I assume the moisture issue may be more of a problem with you fellows in high humidity areas. Up here I've never noticed the problem. OTOH when it is raining I wrap my blower so that the foil hangs down a good couple inches to avoid sucking water up the hole where the fan draws the air. I believe my 10CFM could suck in water in a heavy rain otherwise.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    My guess would be, if you have to lube it at all, then I would use food safe spray silicone.