Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi my name is Claude and I am Egg Head-long story

BigK75
BigK75 Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Folks:

I wanted to introduce myself. After years of contemplating the BGE purchase last night I purchased my first large BGE. I will give you a bit of background on how I came to the BGE and my initital thoughts on it.

About two years ago I decided to give on gas and swtich to charcoal. During my research I had read about the BGE but couldn't justify the price when compared with the Weber. Not to mention there are hundreds of posts stating Weberr Performer is almost as good. So I bought a used Performer started my way into charcoal. Things did not start well for me :) Food was often under cooked. I could not get the temperature up high enough and when doing slow cooks for things like ribs my fire would often die. My wife urged me to switch back to gas. I stood firm and told her real men/women use charcoal. :)

So another 6 months when by on my Performer and again I either ran out of charcoal while cooking or things were uncooked or I couldn't get the vegetables on in time to get them cooked. My wife had enough and so did I. I started to look around for a Weber gas grill.

This June my life changed up side down. My company shut down to move the US. (I am from London, Ontario(. I got a job with a company in Waterloo, Ontario. My new boss turned out to be a devouted egg head and we started talking about the merits of the BGE. The did the trick for me. I decided to buy one. At first I looked through the craigslist and kijiji, but I quickly gave up on that. In the end I bit the bullet and I purchased my first egg. After a quick assembly I watched the egg stand on my deck in all its glory :) However because my family is moving to Waterloo and our house is for sale we had consistent showings through out the day and therefore I could not start my new BGE. When we got home it was 7pm and it was dark. I rolled my Egg over a light and put in my first lit cube with charcoal around it. I closed the door and went to prepare the meat. We were having chicken breast with bone and skin in, a buge piece of beef tnederloi, shrimp with garlic, and aparagus wrapped in foil with olive oil and some herbs.

As I become back I notied grill was 450 within ten minute. I remember thinking to myself there is no way this is possible. I opened the girl and the charcoal was red hot. I would alsays take 30 minutes on my Performer. I gave it another 5 minutes and it was 550. I put my potatoes on and my chicken (direct cooking) and slowly brought the temp down to 350. In 25 minutes my chicken was done and my wife gave it the thumbs up. Next came the shrimp, the veggies and the tenderloin. I remember the old days with weber trying to get the temp up. I didn't believe it was possible to get the temp back up quickly. I shrugged my shoulders opened the vents and left it for 5 minutes. When I came back my egg was a raging inferno and the temp was 650. I tossed my tenderloin on, seeared it and brought the temps down. 10 minutes later everythnig was done.

Both my and my wife both agree that the BGE is all its cracked up to be. It solves many of the problems the Weber hasL
1. Can't cook in the winter
2. Temperature control is difficult
3. Baskets are small and you run out of charcoal during slow cooks
4. Takes to long to start.

In my opinion its worth every dollar. thanks to my boss for turning me to the dark side :)

C;aide

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Welcome to the forum. That is a great story. That's funny, I almost purchased the weber performer, but I was talking about the egg. My wife knows me and basically said "I don't want to pay $300 for the performer and then pay $900 for the egg next year". I too am very glad I bit the bullet and made the purchase.

Your first cooks sounds great. It sounds like you already know what you are doing.

Cheers!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    BigK75, Great story. We love posting pic's of our cooks here on the forum. Come back often and learn to post pic's. Tim ;)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Come in to our cult,,,,er world....
    Welcome, and as Tim said: we like pictures please ;)
    You will find this a a very nice place to hang....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Great story, and welcome! Good choice :)
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Welcome Claude, good story, as the others said, keep egging, and post pics!!
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Welcome from Kansas City... You've clearly decided to accept you Eggaholism and have come to the right place to indulge your addiction. You will find that you will continue to use your Weber... as a storage space for all the accessories you will buy for the Egg. (Psst... Ceramic Grill Store)... You may find other (more evil) uses for the Weber... like inviting someone over to cook ribs and share a beer or six. Let them cook on the Weber... Share some Egged ribs with them. Or, if you're REALLY evil (and have succumbed to the Guru cult), have the intended victim drop by as you are closing the lid on a pork butt, go to the ballgame, play golf, shop for sauce... whatever... then invite him to supper. You will soon be able to enjoy Egged food at HIS house too.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Claude, welcome to the cult and thanks for sharing a great story. I'm north of Toronto, my son goes to Univ. of Waterloo, next time I'm there I'll just follow the heavenly smoke to your house!
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Claude,

You made a great move. I'm in Caledon, near Orangeville.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigK75
    BigK75 Posts: 12
    Thanks guys for the warm reception. I got a rack of baby backs on the grill as I type. I will take some pics and show you guys how it comes out. The only thing I don't have is wood chips. Oh well.

PS I love the uses of the Weber. That was hilarious.

If there is another Nieggra Fest next year I will be there.

Claude
  • I have become too reliant on the efficeincy of the EGG. This morning I decided the bit of lump left from previous cook would be enough. Now dinner is taking a bit longer, but I still have faith that the few peices left will be enough to finish the chicken and pot of black beans.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Welcome to the forum. BGE and Waterloo Region.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Welcome Claude. I'm in Burlington. Look forward to meeting you at the NiEggara fest next year.
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Welcome Claude. I'm in Burlington. Look forward to meeting you at the NiEggara fest next year.