Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I feel like Chuck Knoblauch

MA egger
MA egger Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Chuck, if you remember, suddenly forgot how to throw to first and instead used to toss it in the stands and bean old ladies. My malady is not quite so bad, but I appear to have lost the knack for using the plate setter.

I light my fire as normal, let it get up to temp, and then put the plate setter in and shut the lid and don't touch the settings on bottom or top vents. It seems that all the temperature is getting stuck down below the setter, where the coals are red hot and making the firebox glow, but up in the dome, the temp is mired in the 250f range. I've done the usual cleaning etc and am using fresh cowboy lump.

What am I doing wrong? Am I destined for the culinary equivalent of Single A baseball (i.e. the gasser)?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Light your coals and put the platesetter in right away and let it come up to temp. -RP
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hey, Chuck. :) That was an unbelievable collapse - remember it well.

I light the lump and immediately put the parts I plan to use (platesetter, pizza stone, whatever) in the egg. I leave the dome open for a few minutes, then I close the dome, but leave the vents wide open (bottom open, nothing at all on top). Let everything come up to temp at the same time.

When temp gets close to my target, I close the bottom to about where I think it should be and keep an eye on temp. Only time I use the DFMT is when I'm doing a lo n slo.

Hope this helps.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• my opinion.. and i got lots.. B)
    plate setter legs up will always keep the heat in the base and you will burn thru lump like grease thru a goose trying to get high dome temps . as far as i am concerned legs up is good for low and slow with women and bge..
    legs down is hot and fast like for for pizza and...

my appologies in advance for my crude and tasteless attempt at humor
    lcb
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    lowercasebill wrote:
    my opinion.. and i got lots.. B)
    plate setter legs up will always keep the heat in the base and you will burn thru lump like grease thru a goose trying to get high dome temps . as far as i am concerned legs up is good for low and slow with women and bge..
    legs down is hot and fast like for for pizza and...

my appologies in advance for my crude and tasteless attempt at humor
    lcb

Very good, bill!! I didn't even think of that. Chuck, what are you trying to cook? And what temp are you lookin' for?

And, bill, as for your sense of humo(u)r... good one. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KenHawk
    KenHawk Posts: 58
    I hate Knoblauch. He's a dirty, no good,...

Sorry, Minnesota Twins Fan since birth - mom put the radio in the basinet (division champs that year).
  • Excellent, thanks for the advice, I had always worked under the impression that putting the plate setter in right away would stifle the airflow and not allow the lump to burn properly. From now on I shall put it in right after lighting the coals.
  • I'm sure Chuck would appreciate being remembered.....I remember a catcher for the Mets, Mackey Sasser, who couldn't throw back to the pitcher....amyway, thanks for the memories, gave me a good laugh...

Howard