Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday Night Pizza Party

Goody
Goody Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well if you can't get Eggfest in your home town, the next best thing is some BGE cooking on your own! Did pizza last night for the fam and had a picnic in the living room playing games.

Did the first more traditional. Sauce, turkey sausage, mushrooms, black olives and shredded mozzarella. Brushed the crust with EVO and sprinkled with garlic powder, parmesan cheese and pizza seasoning

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0023_2.jpg

Did the second a little different.

Got the dough rolled out and brushed with EVO and sprinkled with garlic and pizza seasoning.

DSC_0021_2.jpg

Then spread some pesto in lieu of sauce and laid fresh cut tomatoes and sliced mozzarella. Then drizzled some more pesto and placed on some roasted red peppers.

DSC_0022_2.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

The crust turned out perfect!

DSC_0025.jpg

Hope all at Eggfest have a great weekend. The weather is perfect and the picture I saw look like all the events will be great fun. I guess I will have to wait until next year to get to my first Eggfest.

Comments

• What temp and how long did you cook for?
  • Goody
    Pizza is one of those things on the egg where everyone has their own way and if polled you will probably get a wide variety of answers on this forum and all of them are probably right and workable.

I personally light the egg and let it run full throttle and let it get up to 600 - 650. at that point I then add the platesetter, grate and pizza stone. At the point the egg will settle at 400 - 500 and the stone will get hot as well. I feel that it is important to let the stone get to the same temp at the egg before placing the pizza on the egg. That is what helps get the good crispy crust. Once that occurs I place it on there for 10 - 15 minutes. Each pizza cooks different as it depends how much stuff is on it. For example, that first pizza I did last night only took 10 because it was loaded with less stuff and overall it was thinner. The second one with the tomatoes and moz took a little over 15. It also seems your first one cooks faster anyway because the egg it at its hottest point before any food get on and the lid is being opened to place things in the egg.

Again I am sure there will be many other opinions out there I have just learned that this method is the fastest and most efficient way for me that produces the best end product. Really like anything on the egg, you just have to play with it!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Your second pizza...AWESOME! :woohoo:
    I'm gonna shoot for a pizza like that tonight, I just hope it turns out half as good as yours.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    The pizzas look fantastic. Been looking for pizza seasoning but have not found any yet. The spice I use to like is the spice which was/is in the Kraft Pizza kit in a box, haven't made that in years.

Time to make pizza again ... haven't in a while because the local pizza joint has x-large pizza with 5 toppings for $8.99.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Thanks for the response. Great ideas. Now for the silly question - I make pizza all the time and roll my dough on the stone itself. I cant imagine rolling it and putting toppings on and then moving it and placing it on the stone so do you have a paddle or some suggestions for me?
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Bwag829, as mentioned everyone seems to have their own technique - I make mine on a pizza peel ($10 at my local kitchen store) sprinkled with a little cornmeal.. I give it a little shake and it slides right off onto my stone which also has a little cornmeal. :)
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Nice job on the pies. :)
    We have the stone heating up right now :laugh:
  • Goody
    You can use a paddle or peal if you want. I just use parchment paper and a cheap pizza pan from the grocery store. Lay the parchment paper in the tray and work it out into shape. Then just take the pan outside and slide the pizza, parchment paper and all, onto the stone. The parchment paper has no affect on the cooking of the crust and does not catch fire. The edges may smolder and begin to look like the edge of a pirates treasure map :laugh: , but it does not affect the cook. Then when it is done just use the parchment paper to slide the pizza back on the tray and take it inside. Look back at the pics I posted and you will see the parchment paper.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Nice looking pies Goody. I've never heard of pizza spice. I guess I'll have to check it out. Enjoyed your post and the pics.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Goody, nice pies and as your last picutre denotes, perfect crust! :)