Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Egg...Is this safe?

Options
FL XL Egger
FL XL Egger Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is this a safe setup for my XL? I set up my almost finished table using 3 fire brick under my egg. Having seen postings about not using BGE feet, and also seeing others where the wood burned under a paving stone I decided on the brick for good support and air flow under my egg. What do you eggsperts think about this setup? In light of the recent fire posting. Do I need to change this setup? As soon as I complete a couple of more “finishing touches” to my table I will post on the table forum.

Thanks
web.jpg?ver=12870742760001
web.jpg?ver=12870742930001

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    This is not quite the same as a paver. Bobby-Q from BGE may have some input on this.

With this setup you will still have RADIANT heat hitting the wood where there is no fire-brick (remember the three kinds of heat transfer.. conductive, convective, and radiant). I'm not sure how well this might do at high heat. Basic laws of thermodynamics say it WON'T provide the kind of thermal isolation that a paver which is at least as large as the bottom of the BGE would provide.

Just my two cents.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    FWIW, maybe try a paver, and then the 3 fire bricks? I'm no scientist, but it seems that would solve both issues, the radiant heat as well as airflow. Just my $.02 worth.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I would feel safer using a large paver.
    At the least I would add a BBQ mat under your 3 pavers.
    Home Depot in our area have them on sale now for about $25. It could be cut to cover the entire bottom shelf and it's only about 1/4" thick so it will not push your egg any higher in your table. This will also help prevent a large spark of lump causing issues on your wood bottom shelf. Would also give you a safer place to put hot racks and platesetter.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    WPB wrote:
    With this setup you will still have RADIANT heat hitting the wood where there is no fire-brick (remember the three kinds of heat transfer.. conductive, convective, and radiant). I'm not sure how well this might do at high heat. Basic laws of thermodynamics say it WON'T provide the kind of thermal isolation that a paver which is at least as large as the bottom of the BGE would provide.

Just my two cents.

You sound like an Environmental Engineer. All sortsa smarts.

I think I may lay tile on the shelf of my table, then use the paver on top of that. Then no wood should contact hot embers.
  • BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    IMO no.

I would trade-in the 3 individual bricks for one much larger one (like the stepping stones) to cover the entire bottom and provide better stability.
  • BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    BTW is that the new XL with the higher dome?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    WPB,

There is induction and some others also but they do not apply in this case.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Steve,

I think "induction" is not, technically, a method of "heat transfer" but of "energy transfer". Please correct me if I'm wrong, but transfer of energy by induction uses electromagnetic waves to transfer the energy from the stovetop to the cooking vessel, no?

WPB

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooking
  • Little Steven
    Options
    WPB,

I guess you are right. The heat is caused by induced electrical current. I wasn't talking specifically about cooktops but that is the process. You could say the same anout convection though couldn't you?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Convection is by air (or some other gas). An example would be the hot air rising from hot sand in the desert.

Conduction is heat transfer directly through a medium, like the copper on on the bottom of cookware.

Radiation is heat transfer at infrared wavelengths, the sun warming your face through the vaccuum of space would be an exmaple (no air and no medium).

Others geeks chime in and correct any errors... it's been a while since physics class.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    So conduction would be the only transfer that does not require another medium. :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I would use all firebircks and make your own paver. Should take about 6 or 8 of them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Next time you make pizza, wait until the egg is stablized, then take your thumb and stick it down on the plate-setter :woohoo: ...that third degree burn you just got was a result of conduction (and required no medium such as a gypsy fortune teller). ;)

Oh, and I'd go with PhilsGrill solution. Several firebricks arranged to provide a uniform, stable, and heat resistant surface. I'll probably go this route with my new table.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Hahaha, that is my point. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I am only cooking on a large in a table, not an XL. We have the firebrick lined up next to each other. I think we have 6 under it, it's dark out so I can't go count.

We cover the whole bottom area under the egg with firebrick, not that couple just to raise it up set up in the picture.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    I use 3 terra cot pot feet under mine. You can get them at Home Depot or Lowes for about $2 each and you'll get circulation and keep your eggfeet for under the dome use.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I don't know how much radiant heat is going to travel down the 1.5/8" or 2.1/4" to the wood shelf. it's not the 1/2" or whatever that the feet provide. It's also very open so as not to trap heat.

That said I think he should go with the paver anyway because that is what the Mfr recommends. Maybe the XL needs to be supported throughout and that's why they don't recommend feet for this one model.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I am not sure why they do not recommend using feet for the XL. It probably has to do with the stresses formed from the higher weight of the XL and that larger flat bottom. Your bricks give a lot more support than three feet, but I do not know if you are still at risk of breaking the bottom and how that would impact your warranty.

Assuming you have enough support, I would put down a paver or just a ceramic tile and then put the bricks on top of that.

As it is, you still have bare wood exposed to the heat of the bottom of the Egg. They are probably thicker than the feet (more air space) but why take the chance?
  • Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    Options
    I second the opinion of making a solid level of fire bricks. They are designed to handle the heat where as pavers are not.