Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first cook and post

Options
sloux
sloux Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,

Okay, I bought a demo (large) at my local Ace Hardware and it was delivered today. And then I had to go to work. (saddest of sighs) So tonight, I thought I'd go nice and easy and grill burgers, which were good, but my temp gauge never registered above 200 after 30 minutes of wide open vents?? I finally just went ahead and cooked but not sure if the gauge isn't working. How long does it usually take before you get up to 450 or so? It was already assembled so I don't have instructions on calibrating the gauge. ?? Other than that I can't believe I finally have an egg!! I've been pinching myself all day. And I got a killer deal on it. I guess I'll learn as I go along. Took pics of the burgers and grilled peaches, but can't download from my new (just today) camera. Maybe getting too many toys on the same day is bad luck? I'll post pics when I can. Love this forum. Sandy

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    1-check your thermometer,place the tip in boiling water and make sure it registers 212 degrees.
    2-Check your fire BOX,make sure it is allighed(sp) :blush: with the BOTTOM vent.There is a BIG hole in the bottommost part,called the firebox.It has a big hole that should be lined up with the BOTTOM vent opening,
    3-Fill her up,load that baby to the TOP of the FireBOX AT LEAST!I load mine to the top of the FIRERING.Any LUMP that don't burn can be extinguished by closing ALL vents and used later. ;)
    Check these things and report back.
    4-It is a DEMO,make sure you remove ALL inside parts and clean it out REALLY good.Sometimes ash buildup restricts airflow.Take the guts out,then vaccum/sweep it out Completely,reassemble with big hole facing the bottom ventFor those of ya'll that know me,that took a while with one finger.
    Good Eggin FRIEND.Hope it HELPS! ;)
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Great tips by HOSS!

My 2 cents worth would be to look at this website...
    it will teach you the inside and out of the egg.

See link:
    www.nakedwhiz.com

Happy Egging, Pharmeggist
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • sloux
    sloux Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for the hints. I did take it apart and clean everything out and start with fresh lump. But I don't think I put enough in. Only filled it up to just above the holes in the firebox. Next time I'll use more. Kept looking in through the top and all the coals were glowing pretty good, so I'm thinking that was the problem, not enough. And I did make sure the hole was aligned with the bottom vent. I'll calibrate the temp gauge and try again. Chicken tomorrow night! And I got the camera going too. Now need to learn how to post. Naked Whiz here I come.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    You have gotten some great advice, all I can add is "Welcome to the Madness!" You are gonna love it :woohoo: