Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just watched Steve Raichlen do a Caveman T-Bone...

Options
jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just don't think I could talk myself into doing that with a $25 steak. :blink:

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

If you mean searing the steak, or fully cooking a thinner steak, right down on the lump, it works great and there is little to no ash on the meat. I would like to say no ash but there were 2 thumb size pieces of lump on the steak when I turned it over, however, it brushed right off.

Great eats.

GG
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    I know, I know. I've read it here. I've watched Alton Brown do it...I just can't talk myself into it, though.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

:laugh: buy a cheap cut of meat, get your lump glowing red. Put the meat on the glowing coals for about 60 seconds (light sear) or 90 seconds (for a deeper sear). Open and do the same on a new glowing spot after turning the steak.

If you cut is 3/4 of an inch those times will be a good sear and a medium rare center.

This was 60 seconds with a 3/4" piece of meat for fajitas. This was the first cook I took pictures of after getting my egg over 4 years ago now.

The picture is a bit off color but you can see the meat in the skillet, it was still medium rate when going into the skillet.

Fajita.jpg

GG
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    I'll have to schedule this for a weekend evening when I can lean on a healthy dose of "liquid encouragement". :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

:laugh: that will help. Give it a try. It is fun and sure shocks the onlookers during the cook and when you serve them a great cooked cut of meat.

GG