Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FIREHOUSE MEATLOAF!!! Help

Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please Help

I am making Meatloaf for dinner tomorrow at the fire station. I cannot bring the egg to work. Can I cook it today in the egg - keep it in the disposable meatloaf pans - keep it in the fridge tonight and reheat it in the fire station oven tomorrow?

Or am I stuck just cookin it at work?

The final product was going to be meatloaf sandwiches

Thanks for your help

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    I really like cold meatloaf sandwiches.

Larry
  • Do you have a couple of microwaves to reheat? I would cut/slice it tomorrow reheat, with sauce, individual slices. ENJOY ! :)
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    you have a couple of options with the egg. Yes you can cook it on the egg today and reheat in the oven tomorrow in the same pans, you could also cook the meatloaf today and take it off before it is fully cooked (par cook it) and then finish the cook in the oven tomorrow!! Done both ways many times with many different things!! Also, you can't beat a cold meat loaf sandwich!! I wouldn't cut it up and reheat it as that will dry it out. Give one of the options a try you should be pleased. :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    might want to consider cooking it as a true 'loaf', and not in a pan. it'll get lots of smoke all around, and have a nice smoke ring. and it won't swim in its own fat.

it won't be any less moist, because the fat in the pan is already out of the meat too. just do it in a formed loaf right on the grate (or on a cooling rack used as a supplemental grate, so you can lift it off). some foil below it formed to catch the fat, and yer done.

i too, like YB, prefer my meatloaf sandwiches cold. but if you wanted to warm it, you could maybe fry the slices lightly in a pan, micro wave them, or heat them (foiled together on a plate) in the oven.

i would not par cook meatloaf and then travel with it. if it is underdone in the interior, then you will be providing bacteria the perfect environment to grow. it's a slight risk, but better to cook fully and reheat.

use 80/20 lean to fat, or your meatloaf may be dry. i'd do it to 150, 155-60 internal, myself
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BigA
    oh man, everyone is so scared of this bacteria scare. if it is par cooked to about 120 to 130 and cooled in the fridge right away and brought to an oven to finish the cook, to whatever temp you desire, lets say 160, whatever bacteria that may have formed will be killed off in the final cook. but i understand some people don't want to take that risk, but if you don't eat it before it is cooked to 160 you will be fine. but people need to d with what they feel comfortable doing.:)
    I defrost my beef on the counter, they say not to but i do, i think it depends on what part of the country your from, up here on the farm, no one is really concerned about the bacteria thing. It maybe because we get our beef fresh, and i believe that the biggest risk comes from the handeling of the beef or meat in the packing and butchering process. thats why it isnt a big deal to me. but yes you are right they say not to par cook beef.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i'm not afraid of it at all. you probably have the least afraid guy on the forum, when it comes to bacteria... :laugh:

you were proposing he par cook it and then travel with it. i dunno how he's going to travel with it, whether it's warm internally or what.

if his meat were par cooked and found to be dangerous (i have no idea whether it is or not)your idea that killing off the bacteria by a final cook to 160 would somehow render it 'safe' is incorrect.

i'm not saying it's always dangerous, but the idea that meat can be magically sanitized AFTER bacteria have multiplied is based on a little common confusion.

you might kill the bacteria, but it is their toxin that is the issue. and the only reason i brought it up to him was that it is ground meat (with a higher bacterial risk than the meat it was made from).

if you cook it to 120-130 in the interior, and then travel with it, you have the PERFECT environment for bacteria. and to repeat, if that bacteria multiplied and produced its toxin, then cooking it after to 160 accomplishes nothing. the bacteria are dead, the toxin remains.

my point is that par cooking offers little or no benefit than simply cooking it fully. easier to cook it fully and simply reheat.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Ok thanks for all the input - Here is what I think that I will do and you guys tell me what you think.

Cook the meatloaf all the way on the egg today?

Cover in foil and refrigerate

Bring to the fire station and put back in the fridge until dinner

Warm up in the oven (not sure what temp or how long?)

Fry quickly on a pan and melt some cheese on it for sandwiches

Your thoughts?

What else do you put on a meatloaf sandwich?
  • BigA
    your right on the toxins and what not, but i am a person you just doenst seem to be bothered by the risks. buy your right on not knowing how he is going to travel with it. and yes probably better off cooking it fully. sometimes when i par cook it then finish later, it seems to be more juicer, doesnt dry out as much on the reheat, maybe it is the toxins that keep it moist!!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • BigA
    good choice on cooking it on the egg then to reheat in the oven. you could reheat heat at any temp below 350 depending on how long you have to reheat, and it all depends on how big the loafs are. i would say 30 to 50 min at 300. but then again i prefer my left over meat loafs cold.
  • What's the address and is it open to public? ?

I would mix up a chipotle-catsup.
    Just catsup with adodo and chipotle with some citrus juice.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC

• If you can make to just outside of Seattle I would be glad to feed you
  • North Carolina and have commitments tomorrow night. Hope you have great time.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Here's my take on meatloaf. If you cook it a pan the fat will come out the meat and you'll be cooking the loaf in a pan of grease. I prefer to cook it without a meatloaf pan. The use of other ingedients will keep the loaf moist as the fat cooks out.
    I would cook the meatloaf to about 145-160* which should not turn it into a meat brick. Once off the egg, put it in the fridge. Once at the firehouse I would slice it in 1" slices and heat back up. Keep in mind that all it needs is to be warmed up; it's already cooked.