Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

*updated*Packer Brisket Just Went On

frankie482
frankie482 Posts: 263
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Using Humphrey's Lump, oak and cherry.

Rubbed with Meadow Creek Black Pepper Brisket Rub.

This will be my first brisket on the Egg and my first low amd slow brisket.

Only ever did one brisket before - high heat then foil on WSM. It turned out ok.

Me and foiling anything just don't get along. ;)

IMG_0063-1.jpg
IMG_0064-1.jpg
IMG_0065.jpg
IMG_0066.jpg

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    NYUM-NYUM-NYUM!!! Good Luck.Brikies are trickey! ;)
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    looks like a good start, let us know how it turns out.
  • Still chuggin along.

This was about 1:30 a.m.

Spritzing periodically with apple juice, cider vinegar and worchestire sauce mixture.

IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
  • About 7:30 a.m.

The dreaded brisket stall is unbearable!!

IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    It looks great Frankie! The plateau part can be brutal...as it seems like time stands still. As you know, it's well worth the wait in the end.

Why don't you and foiling get along?

Is that meadowcreek rub...as in Meadowcreek outta New Holland, PA? Just asking as I'm not far from them. Tried to visit their place a few weekends back...only to find out their hours (M-F 8:30-4:30 / Sat. 8:00-11am). Those hours don't work well for me. :(
  • Fornia wrote:
    It looks great Frankie! The plateau part can be brutal...as it seems like time stands still. As you know, it's well worth the wait in the end.

Why don't you and foiling get along?

Is that meadowcreek rub...as in Meadowcreek outta New Holland, PA? Just asking as I'm not far from them. Tried to visit their place a few weekends back...only to find out their hours (M-F 8:30-4:30 / Sat. 8:00-11am). Those hours don't work well for me. :(

I never learned to foil since I first started cooking ribs, pork butt, brisket etc..

I entered my first amatuer comp ( ribs only ) this year and played around with foiling to see the results.

It was a total mess. They were soggy and mushy with absolutely no bark even after I unfoiled and put back on for and hour. 2-2-1 method

My sister bought me the rub at Markets of Shrewsbury and yes, it is the same company that makes the smokers.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    It's lookin like a brisket Frankie! Can't wait to see the final results. :)
  • These were the last pics I took before I put it in the fridge. We were gonna eat it for dinner tonite but something came up at the last minute so these are the last pics I got to take.

IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg

I put the cut up point back on for about two more hours added some BBQ sauce and they were fantastic.

The flat got foiled and wrapped in towel for about an hour before I cut a couple slices.

I thought the flavor was good, tenderness was good and moisture level was ok. The flat just felt hard. Not that hard when sliced though. I think I overtrimmed it or something.

Only my second brisket and I would say it was fair. I have not had wide selection of brisket to compare mine too ( only one other ).

I really like my ribs and pork butt. Maybe I just dont like beef?!?
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    The chunked up point looks good! :) I'm still learning to BBQ brisket as well.....it's a journey.