Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh no! I dropped my ceramic cap...

NoClowns
NoClowns Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
...and it broke into at least 6 pieces! It's the ceramic damper on the top of the lid. Apparently I'm the first person to ever do this since this particular Eggcessory isn't listed on the BGE website. I have a medium, anyone know where I can purchase a replacement?

Thanks!

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Call the mothership on Monday. -RP
  •  
    I broke mine the first day and have never missed it on my medium. I just keep the metal one on. The metal one is going to out live me. I think a couple years ago it was going to cost me about $30 to replace the ceramic one.

Welcome to the forum,

Blair

• Thanks for the suggestions guys. Do you burn through more lump using just the daisy wheel? I assumed--perhaps incorrectly--that the ceramic cap would be better at preserving unburned lump after a cook. Am I nuts?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Bummer!
    I don't really use mine. I know that some have glued them together. Ask Frank form Houma. :laugh: :whistle::)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    The daisy is not airtight enough to totally snuff the fire. I used it instead of the ceramic when I first got my Egg. I shut down one evening and the next afternoon I cleaned the Egg with a shopvac and caught my shopvac on fire. You can put a piece of foil over the top and the daisy over that, works well. -RP
  • I usually fill the egg up with lump and mix in new lump after I've cleaned out the ash. I guess I'll use the foil method or contact the mothership for a new one. Thanks again for the help!
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I have only been doing this for 4 years (short compared to many), but I have never used the ceramic top.

I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Blair that is what i paid for my small.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I find myself using the daisy wheel more often than the ceramic top. To me there is absolutely no difference, both snuff the fire rather quickly and preserve lump the same.
  • I broke mine into 4 pieces and super glued it back together, 3 months later it is still working.
  • Baby j
    Baby j Posts: 148
    Broke mine 4 months ago. Went to a dealer to find out the price for one. They told me $150, I freaked. They were pricing the whole top half.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I am able to snuff my fire with the daisy wheel- but the cap is faster. Sounds like the foil trick might work to speed it up. You can get a 6" vent cap from a home improvement store that fits nicely over the daisy wheel to keep out rain if you don't have a cover. You can also use it to smoke in the rain at lower temps.

IMG_0361.JPG

It also won't break if you drop it :).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I broke mine last year and used JB Weld to glue it back together- it is doing fine.

unlike others, I seldom use my daisy and always use the ceramic cap. if i broke it and couldn't fix it, I wouldn't use the metal daisy instead- I like to store that inside the EGG where it is dry.
  • Now how did THAT happen?