Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to produce a great PP bark ?

Options
EggSimon
EggSimon Posts: 422
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello to all,

cooked PP for a few times. Came out ok, but not oustanding.

I´m always wondering what that guys who produce those great barks are doing with the PP ?

My goal is a gold - brown crispy bark B)

Any suggestion or hint ?

Comments

• NCSU-Q
    NCSU-Q Posts: 104
    Options
    What type of rub are you using?

A good bit of sugar in the rub creates the dark brown color as it caramelizes. (obviously you want other spices, etc. in there for flavor as well) My rub contains both raw sugar and brown sugar.

Other than that, just put it on, and let it go at a pit temp of 225-250 until the internal temp is about 190. Rest, pull, enjoy.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Tell us a little about what you do and what you like and dislike about your butts and manbe someone here can help you get the results your looking for.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    Tough to answer your questions without more detail, but one thing you might try (if you aren't already), is to put a generous coat of yellow (french's) mustard all over the butt, and then season. You will not taste the mustard, and it will help hold the rub on.
  • EggSimon
    Options
    I normally season the butt with rub (Sucklebusters Hog waller, Butt Rub, Selfmade...).
    No mustard layer added before.

place the butt in the egg. Cook it with an indirect set up, plate setter or spider + stone, @ 245 F until 195 F internal.

Most parts of the but are normally moist and tender, but also not all. There are sometimes parts that are a bit dry.

The bark is present, but not so much, I like it.
    I also covered the but with peanut oil before seasoning with the rub. Wasn´t a big difference for me.

Any suggestions ?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No idea how to get gold brown bark.

Rub this on it til meat is completely covered (heavy coat, can barely see the meat).

1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Use 2-3 fist sized hickory chunks.

Dome temp 250°

Pull at 195-200° meat temp.

Looks like this - bark is AWESOME!

4405279718_b3b8b4e0a3_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Are your butts trimmed of fat completely?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Forgot to say... mustard is for hot dogs! You do not need it to make rub stick to a butt.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Medium-Rare
    Options
    I have a similar question. The rub I use has lots of sugar and different spices. I think everyone uses a drip pan. My question is do you need apple juice or any fluid in the drip pan? I've tried adding apple juice a couple of times and I think it prevents a good bark from forming.

Thoughts?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Medium-Rare,

I think most use the drip pan, spaced off the platesetter, to catch the fat and drippings. I dont know of anyone that uses liquid.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I have never added any liquid. and I love the bark I get.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Medium-Rare
    Options
    Next cook, no liquid using a spacer between the drip pan and platesetter.

Thanks!!
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Do you foil your butt at any time during the actual cook. It is a common practice with non-egg cooks, but many feel it will make for a 'mushy' bark.

Check your email....
  • EggSimon
    Options
    your right, many non eggers foil.

I´ve never done it - not in my egg life, but als not in my pre egg metal life :)
  • NCSU-Q
    NCSU-Q Posts: 104
    Options
    I agree almost completely with Carolina Q.
    I use a very similar rub, I never use mustard, I never baste or mop or spritz during the cook. I never wrap in foil during the cook (just after for the rest period)
    I use a pizza pan wrapped in foil that sits directly on the plate setter that is only there to catch grease & is dry at the start of the cook.

I get great, dark brown bark that is about 1/8" thick every time.