Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BEEF TENDERLOIN AGAIN

craballey
craballey Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my BGE and am planning whole beef tenderloins for 17 people this weekend. I've read all the posts and there is a division on sear-roast and roast-sear. Am I correct in assuming the sear-roast can dry out the meat and leave a grey ring? Collating all of the thoughts, my best approach seems to be:
1. Roast indirect at 300* until 100* internal temp.
2. Sear at 500* until meat hits 125* for med. rare.
Your thoughts?

Comments

• I've cooked a couple of these lately.
    Search for "Drunk and Dirty" on the Forum search. It is a great recipe!
    I cooked at 250* until 120* internal (indirect with platesetter) with hickory chunks.
    Remove roast, remove platesetter and get fire up to 600-700*. With tongs and gloves :ohmy: sear it about 1 minute on each of 4 sides. Place on platter or cutting board, cover with aluminum foil and rest fro 10 minutes or so.
    (You can 'blister' some asparagus on the hot grill during the rest period).
    Perfect medium rare:
    DSC_0374.jpg
    DSC_0127.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I do the roast then sear. this one was with a ton of garlic, red wine, rosemary ect, ect LOL
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=967382&catid=1#
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here you go.

Beef, Tenderloin, Drunk and Dirty, Amini1

This is from Smoke & Spice, one of the best cookbooks around...

INGREDIENTS:
    Marinade:
    1 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
    1/2 cup Bourbon or other sour mash whiskey
    1/4 cup Worcestershire
    2 Tbs Packed Brown Sugar
    1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
    4 Clove Garlic
    Main Course:
    2 lb Beef Tenderloin or other cut
    2 Tbs Coursely Ground Black Pepper
    1 tsp Ground White Pepper
    1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
    Smoking wood - Oak, Pecan, Hickory - careful not to overdo it

Procedure:
    1 Combine ingredients down to the garlic with 1/2 cup water and marinate beef for at least 4 hours and up to 12 hours.
    2 Remove beef from fridge, reserve marinade and cover beef with ground peppers. I don't measure, I just be sure to completely cover both sides with black and then crack the white not quite as liberally.
    3 Put half the marinade in fridge and add the vegetable oil to the other half if mopping. If not mopping just put all the marinade in fridge.
    4 Heat mop(if using) to a boil for a few minutes and keep warm on low.
    5 Put beef on smoker indirect at low temps...225 to 275 and cook until almost done...1 1/2 to 2 hours for a tenderloin, 45 minutes or so for a flank...in between for other cuts. Mop every 20 minutes for larger cuts; for flanks mop once.
    6 When almost done remove from grill and bring grill up to sear temps. Put steak back on when grill is 500 degrees or so for about 1 minute per side. You're just trying to get a nice char but not too much.
    7 Remove steak and let sit at least 5 minutes but closer to 10 is fine. While resting bring reserved marinade to a boil for a few minutes then lower to low and reduce by about one quarter.
    8 Slice and either drizzle marinade over or serve on side for guests to drizzle themselves.

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Amini1, 2008/11/22
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Great information on this thread.

I have to try it now.

Thanks for the info, the tips, the photos and the recipes.
    Marc
  • sear/roast, roast/sear.

no big difference. and the ONLY thing that dries meat is overcooking.

what you might be hearing is that the exterior is overcooked and grey, but that's from too long a sear.

i sear the tenderloin before roasting it as a wellington, but the concept is the same.
    here's the seared (but relatively still raw) tenderloin waiting for the duxelles

01duxelles.jpg

in my case, the sear takes place and then the tenderloin is removed from the heat, cooling it almost entirely while i prep the rest of the wellington. then i roast to a temp of between 130-135 (actually, truthfully, until the pastry looks good.

but you will likely want to do the searing and roast in one go. ...or roasting and then searing (which'd be my suggestion).

i would say the easiest way to do it is to roast low, indirect, til maybe 125 internal. then take it OFF while you raise the temps to maybe 650. anything higher is showy (impressive, sure), but you will have more time at 600-650.

put the tenderloin on the back and roll it a bit forward every 20 or 30 seconds, or as soon as it is no longer sticking

all of this is a guide. no one can give specific directions for times and temps.

you may want to actually keep the center cold (don't put it on a room temp), simply because tenderloin ught to be done to rare, med/rare at MOST. warming it up before hand will lower your safety net.

because of the sear, and the fact that the meat may have cooled before going back on to sear, you are sort of flying blind. the sear is ONLY for color and carmelizing the sugars, so forget about internal temps and pray you land rare to med/rare.

if anyone wants theirs more well done, then count them among the heathens (silently, of course), and toss their cut on as a fillet, to finish.

there is no insult to finishing someone's fillet by putting it back on to sear. the insult is in the asking to do it in the first place. but as a good host, you won't let them know that... ;)
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Got a picture of that Wellington done?
  • 03Readytogo.jpg

04Wellington.jpg

05Plated.jpg

that last pic has red wine reduction for the sauce
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    darn..... now I am starved...
  • GOODNESS GRACIOUS! I'd hate to cut that one up! Can you give us tips on how you did it? GREAT COOK!! :)
  • no need to do the big wellington, either.
    small ones are great too. :laugh:

plated_wellington.jpg

(stike)
  • Mflyer
    Mflyer Posts: 59
    Abe, I am also interested!! Please let us know how you did it and some instruction on the wine reduction sauce would be great. Looks Awesome!
  • i did a longer picture essay back in '07 when i did this for christmas dinner.

straightforward wellington, with no invention on my part other than doing it on the egg

started with a grass-fed tenderloin, about 3 pounds. marinated ('soaked', more correctly) the tenderloin overnight in cognac, aromatics (cooked carrots, celery, thyme, etc.), then seared it straight from the ridge, rolling it front to back on the grid every 20 or 30 seconds. a little color, but not at all cooked.

here's the tenderloin resting, while in the back is a duxelles of a variety of mushrooms, shallot, etc., salt/pepper, and with a slab of liver pate on top, soon to be mixed into it to form a paste

01duxelles.jpg

pan sauce of red wine and the wellington dripping, cognac, and the aromatics from the quasi-marinade, reducing

02PanSauce.jpg

wrapped in the puff pastry

03Readytogo.jpg

baked at about 375 i think, until browned and puffed.

04Wellington.jpg

sliced

05Plated.jpg

because i kept screwing up the pan sauce (it literally reduce almost ALL day because i kept adding wine, hahaha) we ate late. boys were a little tired and had already crashed. so we ate by the tree and the fire.

06Fireside.jpg

with a nice bottle of wine
    07deadsoldier.jpg
  • We've got to get you off this Joyce kick...my vote for your next forum handle is "Englebert Humperdinck's Handlebar"...please consider.
  • Mflyer
    Mflyer Posts: 59
    I'm confused?!?! I tried looking up the 2007 post Bartell D'Arcy referred to but couldn't find anything. What handle do I put in the search?
  • if you know they are Joyce characters right off, then you might enjoy the gag.

if you don't, but then find out who they are, by googling, then you might enjoy the hunt and whatever Joyce you encounter as a result.

otherwise, what's the harm? hahaha

i was once told that having different handles would water down my brand, as if people come here and search my stuff by my name specifically.

i find that the same questions get asked over and over, so no need to "own" an answer and expect someone to search "stike's response to burned hot dogs".

:laugh:
  • well. you just smacked me right down. haha

i just replied to him that no one searches my posts by my handle anyway, and then you go and do it.

the old thread is dead anyway. this one here is as close to the original as i can reconstruct

if you want to find it, search> stike christmas wellington
  • Ah, but imagine searching for "Englebert Humperdinck's Handlebar's response to burned hot dogs"
  • thanks everyone for your advice -- the forum is a great way to get motivated.
    Abe: is that wine in the photograph an old Lafite Rothschild???
  • we did that christmas wellington in 2007, and decided to crack this with it. was its fiftieth year.

1957_ChL.jpg

We were lucky enough to have a nice run of older vintages for a while, until of course we drank them (that's the hard part: keep or drink?).

wine was meant to be drunk, so we two drank this bottle, with its dirty label, 8pm, Christmas Night, 2007...

shared its twin with some friends (forum members here).

the older ones are thinner, brick red, and don't have any of the POW in-yer-face that they do young. very different wine than a young cab/sauv. much more subtle and a very different thing than you might expect. takes them maybe an hour just to open up in the glass

those days were a brief but shining moment in our days as winos

have one bottle left. a 1915 burgundy. bottle is more historical than any chance of it still being stellar, but you never know. in burgundy that year, where the last battles of The Great War (WW1) were fought, only about 1100 cases were bottled in the entire region. i understand that a single vineyard might typically bottle ten times that, let alone the whole region.

i'm going to have it Jan2015, on its hundredth anniversary