Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Comfort Food...

Basscat
Basscat Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sometimes, life gets pretty tough, inspiring the need for comfort food. And today that meant.....

MacnCheese.jpg

Mac'n'Cheese. Well, OK, I used Fusilli for the pasta. My, was this good! If you like your cheese a little smokey and love Mac'n'Cheese, try baking it in the Egg sometime. Good stuff.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I like what I'm seeing!! ;) What flava smoke wood did you use?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Basscat
    Just the oak smoke from the lump is plenty for me, cheese really soaks it up. I let the fire burn for at least 30 minutes to clear the smoke, especially with new lump.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Now if you really want comfort food, add some chunks of smoked LONEY.

ONBGEDSCN0477.jpg
  • Basscat
    This one was all about the cheese. Had enough butter in the sauce to make it more comforting, too ;-)
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    We love egged Mac'n'cheese, yours looks pretty good!
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Details, please. Time, temp? Indirect?
  • Basscat
    I don't measure or anything like that, I'm sure there are a million simple and well measured recipes online to get started with, but....
    A basic white sauce with flour, butter, and oil, added some chicken stock and milk until the thickness looked about right, then stirred in a bunch of grated cheese (sharp cheddar, white cheddar, swiss, some other leftover bits in foodsaver bags, don't know what kinds, but they were cheese;), then the boiled pasta, poured into a buttered pyrex dish.
    On the Egg with well cleared smoke on the grid over the platesetter, legs up, around 325 for about an hour, or until it starts browning and before it starts scorching, I keep a close eye on it after about 45 minutes.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Basscat, now you've made me hungry and I just finished breakfast. I love Mac n Cheese on the egg......just enough of a hint of smoke to give it that extra special flavor.
  • nothing like mac-n-cheese on the egg.

before kids, we'd have mac-n-cheese almost once a week in the winter. it takes very well to tossing things in... believe it or not, the kids don't like "real" mac n cheese. and i refuse to make the cr^p from a box

sun dried tomatoes, certainly jalapenos, even just a mega dose of chili powder.

but nuthing matches just straight-off mac-n-cheese by itself.

thanks for the pic