Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pigasso's first Long & Slow

Options
Pigasso
Pigasso Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pigasso's first Long & Slow nearly turned into a short and fast! I put a 9.2 lb butt in the egg last night at 6.45pm. It has now been in the egg with guru in ramp mode, temp now inexplecibly rising to 260 and internal temp at 198 after 21 hours. Temp has varied between 230 and 260. I have read various opinions to put the butt in foil and crank up the heat to 350 for the last couple of hours - however I have refrained and in the spirit of the Naked Whiz have not lifted the lid once! [p]This morning the temp was reading 340 - the same as when I went to bed. On the way through the house I thought I smelled rubber burning. I called Doris, (my wife) but she was not sure - I thought it may be a curious odor from the pit. We searched the house and, in the last room when we opened the door, smoke billowed out. I ran outside and shut off the breakers, called 911 and Doris gathered our 2 1/2 year old son Noah, 3 dogs, pictures of Noah's adoption from Kazakhstan and deposited the dogs in the SUV and son with neighbor. We found the cat in the room with the smoke (where she had been locked in) and swiftly placed agitated feline in other family vehicle. Houston Fire Department (God bless them) arrived in 6 minutes. The cause? Well, Doris is a seamstress, and a pedal in one of her sewing machines shorted out. HFD said there was "one in a million chance" of this happening.[p]The horrible thought is that half an hour later we would have left the house for a couple of hours - leaving all doggies and cats inside. We now have smoke detectors in every room and considering one of the "monitoring services" for fire and security alert.[p]The impression that this has left with me is that every family needs to have an emergency plan - know what to do as well as locations of fire extinguishers. This happened so quickly it really makes one's head spin.[p]Now to the original matter - what should I do with the butt? Leave it on as is or crank the heat up to get internal temp to 200 degrees?[p]Oinks to all!

Comments