Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium or Large?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying to decide what size BGE to purchase (medium or large). Any suggestions?

Comments

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
    David Kent,[p]Get the large. You will be happy you did. By the way, the next thing in your collection will be a small to go with the large. I thought I would never get more than one egg, but sitting out on the deck is the big'un with his little buddy sitting just beside. Enjoy ... and welcome to the cult ... er, I mean club!
  • Sandlapper
    Options
    David Kent,[p]If I were buying a BGE now I'd even go a step further and opt for the XL when available

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    David Kent,[p]The medium will do everything the large will, but down the road you'll probably be kicking yourself for not getting the large.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Sandlapper
    Options
    drbbq,[p]Agreed....BTW...What's the status on the XL??

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    David Kent,
    There are just two of us, but I have never regretted buying the large first, adding a small a year later and my wife surprised me with a medium the year after that. The perfect combo though is as FatDog said...a large and a small. If it helps you any the diameter of the grills are as follows:
    S 12"
    M 15"
    L 18"

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Sandlapper,[p]I don't know, I haven't heard anything lately.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • David Kent,
    Personally, I would never start out with anything smaller than a large. I would love to have each, but the large as far as I am concerned should be your first choice.[p]Jerry

• David from RI
    Options
    David Kent,[p]I have a medium, because that is all that was in stock and I HAD to have it. I am happy with it, but after doing this turkey and some buts I should have waited for the large.
    3"...well size does matter.[p]David

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    David Kent,[p]Large. No question. I'm one of those people that got the Medium and have been kicking myself ever since (not that I don't LOVE my Medium, but it certainly would be nice to have the Large.)[p]TRex
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    David from RI,[p]I got the large based on neighbor recommendations and will get a small soon based on fellow cultists / owner recommendations.[p]Welcome aboard!!
  • David Kent, I just got my BBG two weeks ago. I asked the the same question about a month before I odered the egg. I listened to everyone and got the large. First night two chickens. Second day 8 quarts of beans cooked for 12 hours. Just like living do it large.

• terrafirmay
    Options
    David Kent,
    The area of the large cooking grate is 254 square inches. The area of the medium cooking grate is 177 square inches. (area = pi r squared.) The large is 44 percent larger. I agree with the others who say you will be glad you bought the large.

• David Kent,[p]Interesting, overwhelming recomendation for Large without knowing how many people you plan to cook for. Without that information, its impossible to make a fair recommendation, so, on average, how many people you plan to cook for?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    David Kent,
    i live alone and mostly cook for myself. on the weekends there might be 2-3 people over. i would recomend the large because i find my self cooking for the week ahead. i have been waiting for the XL for my camp where there is usually about 5 on the weekends. you can do a little on the large or a lot

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    David Kent,
    Large.
    You won't regret it.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    David Kent,
    As others have said; the large appears to be the choice. If you find you need something smaller, then you;ll have an excuse to buy it. I have three larges; and want an XL as soon as they are available.You'll be satisfied with anything you choose.
    Hammer

• bodean
    bodean Posts: 19
    Options
    Get A Large and Don't Look Back
  • GaWahoo
    Options
    David Kent,[p]I have had a medium for four years now and love it but should have gone for the large. Mediums limit you to 15 lb turkies and smaller.[p]Get the Large. You know you want it.[p]Welcome to The Cult of Egg
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    GaWahoo,[p]It's not a cult. we just share a love of ceramic cooking. [p]Here...would you like to try the kool-ade or the apple sauce?