Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket of silicone?

Options
schwim
schwim Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I had to scrape off the charred remains of my felt gasket the other day. Had the egg about a month now. Cooking without it is ok for grilling, but for pizza, I'm having difficulty getting the temps I want.

Anyone try to make a gasket out of high heat silicone like RTV or this?

http://www.adlinsulflex.com/high-temperature-sealants/pyrosealant

Comments

• schwim
    schwim Posts: 9
    Options
    The rope on their site looks promising too. :huh:
  • PhilOsh
    PhilOsh Posts: 84
    Options
    That gasket in a tube looks interesting. This is what I did with regular silicone after I fried my gaskets.

After I got my new Nomex gasket from BGE, I cut it roughly to length and preshrank it on my pizza pan in a 350* cooling egg. It lost 3/4 inch. I removed the top of the egg and cleaned off the old gasket, laid down a bead of silicone 3/8 inch wide and about 1/8 inch thick, and let that set up for about 5-10 minutes. I laid the Nomex gasket carefully into the silicone, picked up the top and placed it onto the base in the position it would be attached later, and let that set up for about an hour. I then carefully attached the hinge and didn't move it for 24 hours. I have an airtight seal. There is no gasket on the bottom cause that's where I always spill stuff onto. I've done high temp cooks and high temp cleansing and the seal is undamaged for 3 months now.
    Phil
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    You bet. http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?searchword=permatex&option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=search

Permatex Ultra Copper works well by itself or as an adhesive for ceramic fiber (Coltronics) or fiberglass (Rutland)... Have had only Permatex on mine since June.