Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Camping - No BGE

Options
ElDestructo
ElDestructo Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all:

Next month I have an annual camping trip. Of the attendees I'm the only one with a BGE, and I only have a large, way too big to take. I was looking for suggestions on some potential items I could smoke and then easily heat over the camp fire. Do you think this is a worthwhile attempt or just setting myself up for disappointment? :)

I also have yet to get a dutch oven, I see quite a few people using these on their egg however "camp ovens" have legs and am not sure if they will sit well in the BGE. Anyone used a camp oven?

http://www.lodgemfg.com/Logic-camp-dutch-ovens.asp

Thanks!

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I think some folks use camp ovens on the egg. My DO's are flat bottomed though. Have you tried yours? Will the feet fit between the grid wires?

As for what to cook, you can cook a ton of great food over an open campfire. Buddy of mine bakes cakes in a DO. Sets in on a nice bed of coals and covers the lid with more coals. Not always perfect, but usually mighty tasty!

You can even slow roast a whole cow, a la Francis Mallmann... :)

data?pid=avimage&iid=ie1RnKto1kwc

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• iBeeSmok'n
    Options
    Hi EIDestructo

I use a flat bottom DO and it works great.
    I have also taken my large BGE camping and yes it is a little big to hual around but sure glad I had it all weekend. I will be looking for a medium for future camping trips.
    Enjoy!

IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0364.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    35217_442613096310_557591310_6551964_6834214_n.jpg
    36934_442611986310_557591310_6551897_265994_n.jpg
    36934_442611996310_557591310_6551899_5038582_n.jpg
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    3f163815.jpg

Your plan will work fine, cooking ahead is a smart idea because it cuts your garbage by as much as 70%. Many of the places I camp you have to pack out your own trash, so this is a bonus.

I vacuum seal items and freeze them flat (this cuts down on the amount of ice you have to take) then layer them in reverse order in the food cooler.... meaning the last one in is the first one I'll eat. Depending on what you make, you will generally unpack it from the vacuum bag, then reheat in foil pouches or foil pans at the edge of the fire pit or over coals. Definitely smoke a couple of fatties, or more depending on how many folks are coming along(more on that later). I've done all your standard BBQ fare (brisket, pulled pork, ribs... but I also make things like chicken and dumplings, chicken and rice, enchiladas, lasagna, I've even taken crab gumbo camping. A chilled pastrami is killer as is a hunk of buckboard loin bacon.

2b8d1b70.jpg

For sides, my favorite is Cowboy Potatoes. The recipe is on my site, or just ask any Boy Scout. Heheee. If you pre-cook macaronni then add chese during the reheat it comes out great.

DSC01693a.jpg

I do most everything this way with the exception of breakfast. I take a gasoline stove, a cast iron skillet, and a coffee pot.

f72cd0f6.jpg

I will reheat some pre-smoked fatties, and scramble eggs and cheese. These get served in flour tortillas as breakfast burritos. I might take a pack of bagels as they hold up well and don't get squashed. I rarely take bread and prefer tortillas or the wraps for lunches.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery