Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Resting time on t-rex

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is the amount of time for the resting period from 600+ down low on CI grate on spyder in large till you pull and hold while getting temp down to 400 and putting meat back up top on adj rig real important?

I did the first part one min for each time pulled off meat. Closed off bottom to less than 1/2 inch, added grill to top of adj rig when my wife informed me she still needed about 30 mins to get twice baked jobs ready in kitchen (YES - one of the left hand / right hand deals).
The question is; is that time real important?
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Mickey,

I think that Jason's (TRex) method has the cook close the vents to get the cooker down to around 400° to finish off the steak to the doneness you want.

I've cooked the steak up top on the adjustable rig for over 10 minutes sometimes, because I let the temp get below 400°. I go by whatever the instant read (Thermoworks device) says, and for what I like it's usually around 130°. About 140-145° for the squeamish ones in the house.
  • Mickey
    Thanks Mike. As you do I use the the instant read for doneness.
    BUT, maybe I have been doing wrong all this time. You cut temp back and then place meat on lower grill to finish?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I only use a single cast iron grate on my medium. I've used the time that it takes to get from 650 down to 400 to let her kitchen cooked food catch up to mine. I must say, however, I've never prolonged it more than about 15 minutes more than it took. Maybe a total of half hour off the grate. We like 'em black on the outside and rare on the inside, so cooking probably isn't as critical with us, but I still wouldn't let them cool off too much before putting them back on at 400. Hope that helps.
  • Mickey
    Well I was off for about 30 min's / did not seem to hurt it. Was very good!