Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Upside down chicken survives abandonment

Options
Deckhand
Deckhand Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Decided to try Little Steven's Upside Down Chicken.
Covered the bird with Shakin' the Tree.. under the skin too. Squirted lime juice on the skin first... saw something on a TV show... Rachael Ray, I think, about it making the skin more crispy. Put it back in the fridge for half an hour to dry the skin. (Didn't have longer). On the fire indirect...upside down on the vertical roaster in the middle of a small round drip pan. (BGE grid on top of Adjustable Rig). 13" stone on bottom of rig for heat deflector. Started at 250 and let the heat gradually rise to 290 over an hour. 2 chunks of apple and 2 chunks of cherry wood on the coals. After the first hour the thighs were 20° hotter than the breast and skin was already golden brown.
Emergency took me out of the house for another hour. I knew it would be overcooked but hoped it would be salvagable. Indeed. Breast was 180° and thighs 195°
Breast wasn't juicy but not bad... Thighs were perfect. Poured Blues Hog over everything and chowed down. I'm sold on the "Upside Down" method... breast meat would have been ruined otherwise. Thanks Little Steven. Oh, if the neck opening is too tight for the stand, cut away some of the neckbone with a pair of shears.

Comments