Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak searing - grid or (ci) pan ?

Options
EggSimon
EggSimon Posts: 422
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello to all,

have seen posts with both techniques for steak searing.
So I´m wondering what´s your way and you prefer ?
And what is are the pros and cons of both ways ?

Searing on top of a cast grid or in a cast iron pan in the egg ?

Thanks for your opinions

Simon

Comments

• if i want a nice EVEN brown surface, i'll use a cast iron pan.

you can get a nice brown surface too by roasting. i find the browning is a little less when i do a direct sear (and sometimes, if i don't pay attention, too much), but i like it all...

here's as pan-seared tenderloin

pansear.jpg

some nice browning from a roast... pan is there as a partial indirect barrier.

Xreheated_xmas_roast.jpg

some duck. not sure if you can get that mahogany direct

Xduck_searing.jpg

when i want a nice brown sear on a steak, i go maybe 500 degrees, and start with a DRY meat surface.

on_the_fire-1.jpg

(ignore that little piece of jerky on the right)
  • Fire Walker
    Options
    Depending on the thickness, for a 1 to 1-1/2 steak I crank the Egg up to about 550 degrees throw steaks on hot grill close lid check it in about 3 minutes after that check every minute or so untill desired sear is attained flip close lid for about a minute check often give it the feel test the firmer the steak the more done it is, after a few steaks you'll get the hang of the feel test.
    FireWalker
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Searing in a pan is call frying... :blush:
  • field hand
    Options
    I prefer the CI grid. As a kid, everything was pan fried in a CI skillet. I've had my share of the skillet, now I only use it for blackened fish. Just my preference.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO