Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cook Time

Options
Smoketacular
Smoketacular Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be smoking 25lbs or so of boston butts this weekend. Probably 3-4 butts. I have cooked one numerous times and I know to cook to temp. Can someone let me know an approx amount of time to allow. shooting for 190.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Should be approximately the same for 3-4 as it is for one. As long as they aren't crammed together. And even if they are in the beginning, they will shrink.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    rs per pound based on the largest of the butts. Start checking temps based on the smallest of the butts.

Contray to popular belief it will not take a combined time if the butts are touching. If that were the case Many of my troop cooks would take days top cook, considering I usually have 65+ pounds of meat on a single egg.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    its pretty much the same cook as one, maybe plan in an extra hour or two. the only difference i find is that i dont sleep as much with the bigger cooks :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smoketacular
    Options
    Celtic Wolf wrote:
    rs per pound based on the largest of the butts. Start checking temps based on the smallest of the butts.

rs per pound?? What is rs mean (sure its a brain block on my part) Also out of curiosity why check temp on the smallest butt?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
  • Smoketacular
    Options
    Why do I probe the smallest butt vs the largest>
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    The smallest one is likely to finish first. As they finish, take them out, foil, and put in a cooler to keep warm until they're all done. If you probe the largest, the small ones would likely overcook while the large one finishes.

-John
  • Smoketacular
    Options
    Of course... Common Sense should have kicked in on that one.

Thank you