Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt question

Options
Garyinchicago
Garyinchicago Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just want to clarify cook times for boston butt. I have heard to expect 1.5 to 2.0 hours per pound at 240.

I assume a 10 pound butt will take 15 to 20 hours. However, does that mean if I cook two 10 pound butts it takes the same time or does it take twice as long?

Probably a dumb question but trying to not screw this up. Thanks

Comments

• FearlessGrill
    Options
    As long as they aren't touching, they will cook as if there was only one in there. Note that they will probably finish at different times. If you're using a remote thermometer, put it in the smaller one. If one finishes earlier, foil it, wrap in a towel, and put in a cooler while the other finishes. Then you can rest them both as long as you need, and pull them together.

Good luck,

-John
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Gary, Consider bumping up your dome temp to 250F. While your dome temp is 250F your grid temp will be lower (at least for a while) and your cook may not stall. Anyway have a great cook. Tim

240F - 250F dome temp = 215F - 225F grid ;)
  • Garyinchicago
    Options
    one more question....(famous last words).

Any recommendation on marinade recipe or pre made for injecting the butts with? I was thinking Cajun Injector creole butter. Thoughts?
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I've done them both ways, and they've turned out good either way. Why not keep it simple the first time around and just dust the butts with a good rub?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    No harm in bumping the temp up to about 325dome after a few hours of smoking at 240-250. It will trim down the overall cook time, and the end product is just as good.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I don't do this I usually keep it simple but, people do it and love it so here it is if you want it.

Mojo (moy'-yo) Pork

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/mojopork.htm

Injecting

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1999/05/injections.html
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Gary,
    If this is your first butt cook I wouldn't inject. The reason being that you may love the finished product with just a straight cook. After the first one then you can start playing with different rubs or injections. But at least you'll have a starting reference point from there.
    You didn't say what size egg you were using but if the two butts are touching it doesn't matter. As soon as they start heating up and the fat starts dripping they will shrink away from each other. And your cooking time won't change much if they're not thawed all of the way.
    I also don't use any rub on the butts during the cook. I put it on after the cook.
    That's the good thing about butts, you can do almost anything with them and most of the advice you were given is good.