Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prefered smoke flavor for turkey

Options
WJS
WJS Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering what type of smoking chips/chunks everybody used for their turkey, and what you r past experiences had been.[p]I went to the BBQ Galore over the weekend to to pick up my T-day supplies, and was hoping to pick up some maple this year and give it a try. To my surprise, they did not have any, nor did I see any empty shelf space to indicate that they were just out of stock. I did pick up some Alder (never tried it before)to augment my existing supply of Hickory, Mesquite (both too strong), apple, and some Oak. I also have Almond for burning in the fireplace.[p]Opinions?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    WJS,
    i find that the family prefers a little smoke, not a lot.[p]i use Royal Oak lump, which has enough smoke to begin with, and don't really add any more (with turkey, that is).

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    WJS,[p]Pecan seems to be the preferred wood for smoking turkey. It's a milder version of hickory and will give the turkey a nice bronze color and wonderful flavor..... I wouldn't use much tho, as a little goes along way........poultry gobbles up the smoke.
    Hope this helps.[p]John

• PCO3
    PCO3 Posts: 50
    Options
    WJS,
    I have used maple and pecan. I liked both, but I would probably go with the pecan if you are going for a really beautiful looking golden bird. It is a strong smoking wood so you will want to go easy with it.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    last year i used a nice long piece of that apple wood you gave us....gave a real nice subtle smoke flavor. . .still got a piece or two left i think. .will be using that. ..

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    WJS, I really liked the apple chips

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    WJS,
    Three chunks of apple and one chunk of hickory.

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    WJS,
    I plan on using one chunk of apple wood stuck right in the middle of the fire, plus some apple chips and a few alder chips stirred (not shaken) in with the lump. [p]Bob

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    WJS,
    1 small cunck off cherry in the middle of the fire for 15 minutes and then fashion little canoes out of foil and add about a .25 cup of pecan pellets split into about five of these canoes. i place them nearer the edge, not in the initial fire. then put the bird on after the initial heavey smoke has subsided. all my smoking wood is in chunks except the pecan

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it