Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hamburger first time

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just need a little encouragement. First time using Egg, got my thermometer problem taken care of. According to the Recipe section for a 1/2 pound burger heat to 700 for 3 min then flip and turn vents off let cook 15 min for a medium burger. Is there any recommendation or change to this. I thought I read somewhere to go up to 500 and shut down does the temp have to be just right. A little nervous and excited don't want to to flop family has high expectations from me.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    kyle, welcome to the world of the BGE. 3+15 minutes for medium burger seems like a long time. I typically get the dome to 700-750 degrees, do 3 minutes per side and close it down for 5 minutes -- put on the cheese and go another minute or two. [p]Good luck! I just fired up the BGE for a couple of pork chops.[p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • olblue
    olblue Posts: 42
    Options
    kyle,
    I've not cooled burgers that hot, but the formulas for steak are 1-2 minutes a side the 3 minutes with the vent closed. 15 minutes ought to turn it into dust.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Gfw,[p]Yes, I agree with GFW - 15 min dwell seems pretty long. [p]
    Sometimes for burgers (and if they are really fatty ones that drip and smoke - aka Omaha steaks) I will get humpty up to 325 +/- 50 and open the dome and close the bottom vent. This way the flames don't shoot up past the grid and I can grill them old burgers without the grease smoke chugging out the chimney like OL`99 coming up a 10 deg track (hey Woody how's that?). The Egg really improves most foods a lot, but it often improves burgers about the least - IMHO. It will be good time spent learning the Egg and its temp controls, don't expect the greatest burgers you ever could possably image --- <FONT COLOR="#007F00"><FONT SIZE="5">That's the RIBS !!!</FONT></FONT>[p]good luck with the chops[p]Tim

• Kyle
    Options
    Gfw,
    Thanks, thats why I'm asking the pros, The cooking temps I mentioned were from roger in the recipe section for burgers.
    let you how goes ,firing this baby right now.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    kyle,
    I have used CWs method several times with great success.
    I go 4 minutes a side at 550. After the 8 minute sear I usually put on some sauce, a thin slice of onion, and cheese. Dwell it for a few more minutes til cheese is melted. Yuh-umm![p]You won't let the family down.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    kyle,[p]I have come to favor Char-Woodys method (thanks C~W). Cook at 450F for 4 minutes, flip and 4 minutes more. Close both vents and allow the heat to finish the meal. The dome is closed between necessary openings.[p]The thickness of the burger is more important to the cook timing than the weight. [p]Cook them burgers and blame us if they are not up to par.[p]Spin
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    ol-blue,[p]Well, actually doing a steak on a large BGE for 1-2 min per side at 700 deg will hardly make it light brownish red - if it's 2" thick. It really depends on the thickness of the meat. I do 2" filets a lot and 4-5 min per side and 3-5 dwell is really good and no where near dust or even med well done. But do that on a 3/4" rib eye and you'll have shoe leather. Size matters![p]Tim
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    kyle, okay, here's an alternative view just to confuse you; I am part of the crowd that thinks burgers can turn out more than just fine at temps lower than 500 degrees. I have had wonderful results with a 350 or 400 degree cook over 10-12 minutes doing burgers. They do create a 'crust' on the outside and are nice and juicy inside. No backdrafts, no burnt knuckle hair and wonderful burgers. Give it a try as an alternative to the high heat and closed vent approach. Again, to every approach to Egg cooking, there is an equally valid alternative![p]
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    bbqfan.jpg
    <p />BBQfan1,
    I like your approach to burgers. Gives the fat a bit more time to render also. Next time.[p]Hey, what a great time for another picture.
    Here is you in top form!! Only 2 pictures left to post from eggfest. Dang. Film is a good thing to have![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Nature boy, As you can see from that 'eggish' physique, I am in need of some 'lean cuisine'. Actually, had an ECG and heart monitor test scheduled for first work day back from Eggfest! Have cut back on those buffalo wings, but still Egging (to my heart's content?!) with boneless. skinless chicken breasts, portobello mushrooms, vidalia onions grilled in virgin olive oil etc. Yearning for the ribs and brisket, but they say moderation is the key; down 6 lbs since this photo. Just have to learn to savour 1 bottle Chimay or Sleemans as opposed to 6 MGD etc. Bought one of those bbq woks you cooked squid in; any stir fry ideas?[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Stir-fry ideas? Oh yeah! Go nuts with your veggies.[p]Get creative. For example:
    Mix some olive oil (maybe a tad of sesame oil also), and soy sauce, wine, pepper, and seasonings in a bowl. Maybe a little ginger or garlic. Throw in whatever else you like, but have a good couple tbsp oil.[p]Coat your veggies with the mixture maybe 10-30 minutes before you grill. A good mixture is sugar snap peas, tomatoes, mushrooms, and vidalia onions. Another might be zuchinni, red bell peppers, shrooms and onions. Or any combo. Be creative. Pineapple is a great addition.[p]Coat your wok with oil, or pam, and preheat it. 450-500 is a good temp....you want a good hot fire, but not 700. Spread your veggies out and close your egg. A few minutes, and flip/stir. Close up and go a couple more minutes. Test for doneness. Good stuff. We like our veggies on the slightly crunchy side.[p]Also, scallops, oysters and the like, do very well in the wok. Same temps as the veggies.[p]Need more ideas, let me know.
    NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Kyle
    Options
    kyle,
    Well the burgers came out great, I ended up doing a 3 min per side at 550 with a 6min dwell Cheese added for the last minute of dwell. I'd say burger was a med well with lots of juice inside.Everybody enjoyed it. Kids even got a kick out of the whole cooking process, thats never happened before with the gas grill.
    thanks guys. Steaks tomorrow can't wait

• Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Options
    BBQfan1, I hear you. I just went through a stress test, blood work and the whole deal. Cholesterol 355. Sodium levels in orbit. I begged the doc for one month to make serious changes. This was a month ago. Had bood work done last week and went for the results. Cholesterol dropped to 210 in one month and sodium went waaaay down. Had to make a complete in diet which meant laying off all the good stuff on the Egg as well as lots of the sauces I like. But, I did it and feel great. So, now I'm looking for lots of alternatives to the high sodium, high fat and cholesterol.
    Have to stay away from red meat as much as possible. Good luck to you. I hope people will post with alternatives!!

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    kyle, congratulations! you are well on your way - What are you going to try next?[p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    kyle, Trust US on this one! You'll never have a better steak than this! Just follow it, whether it is F/M or a N/Y, you can NOT go wrong with Scott's simple receipe!
    Just click on...
    http://BigGreenEgg.com/recipes/beef/scott-mustard.htm
    Enjoy! hey, would a guy and gal who came from Centralia, MO about 40 years ago steer you wrong? RRP

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Doug,
    Lots of alternatives!! I just posted a couple for Mike, and there are many many great lean dishes to be fixed up on humpty. Mr. Gills (Sprinter) has been cooking enough fish to reverse your cholestrol reaadings!! Salmon has lots of the "good" cholestrol. Squid!!! Yeeeeee ha![p]Veggies are awesome. From stir fried wok veggies, to Mr. Toad grilled zuchinni to Cat's grilled asparagus. =Mark's Port-bellies are mighty fine. Squid, fish, shellfish are all good on the egg. Use olive oils and others low in saturated fat. Pork tenderloins, chicken, and lean pork and chicken cuts are also low in fat. Eat lots of sides, and flavor your meat heavily. A little can go a long way.[p]HTH
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Spin, thanks pal, and hamburgers are a genuine all american basic. Delicious in a variety of ways. Had a pizza tonight (cheated and thawed a frozen one) but thought of ya yust the same.
    Cheers..C~W[p]