Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

georgia red (hot) wings

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
marinated these to the georgia recipe that RRP posts, then dipped them several times in some souped up red hot sauce while the cooked :evil: really good

004-1.jpg
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• have you tried "the chicken"?

great stuff
  • fishlessman
    "the chicken" is good stuff, havent made it for a while, should dig out the recipe as it seems im cooking alot of chicken on sundays
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I served 4 batches of them at the Eggfest in Oswego, IL on Saturday that I had marinated for 72 hours and then lightly dusted with DP Swamp Venom. I'm blushing when I say this but they were a real hit and drew some nice compliments!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    these marinated about 40 hours, will put them in longer next time. nice even flavor.
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    I have found that a brine of salt water for a couple hours before the marinating period and then a triple rinse seems to help cut through the telltale chicken fat surface on the wings so the marinade can soak right in clear to the bone in the 72 hours.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    I haven't tried this marinade, but regarding fat and skin, Alton Brown has a recipe for wings where he steams them first, then bakes. I've done it on the Egg, and they come out nearly identical to a really good fried wing. Very crispy skin, and they soak up a butter/hot sauce mix just like a fried wing. It might be worth giving it a try.
  • I'm not sure if she told you, but Cori loved the wings on Saturday, Ron. We have wings pretty regularly, and I'm anticipating that she will be requesting the red wings from time to time.
  • RRP
    Thank you, Sir!

Like wise I loved that chili you served and of course the salmon you fixed was terrific! That was nice of RogerT to have given you those fresh caught fish filets. BTW RogerT and I met and we mended our fence!
  • I had forgotten all about that little dust-up. Glad you guys got a chance to talk. And yes, it was a blessing to have such great ingredients to work with. Made for a fun day.

And it's always fun to see a new egghead drive off with his new baby. He's no longer undecided about whether to buy one!
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Great looking wings. Not used to vinegar in these parts, but will have to try these. Took some searching for the recipe...up the soy to be equal with the water and add extra hot sauce are the comments I found.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • RRP
    no vinegar in that recipe - and as for changing the mixture to more water I cut the amount water and nearly doubled the soy! To each his own...
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Thanks, I'm off to have my eyes examined. :blush: I would prefer to reduce the water...
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Wifie was out of town Friday so I took the opportunity
    to make some GRW's also.
    Finished with this cajun rub:

http://www.cookingcache.com/lowfat/applebeeslowfatblackenedchickensalad.shtml?rdid=rc1

Dang good for who it was for! :woohoo:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Those wings look terrific.
    I had the best wings I ever ate when RRP made Georgia Red Wings at Illinois Eggwegofest! :woohoo:
  • RRP
    Glad you liked them, Clay! The original recipe is not mine as I have admitted here repeatedly, but my tweaks and this and that seem to work for us!

Again it was so good to see you two again this Saturday and I really hope you can make it down to the 9th annual Peoria Eggfest on Saturday, June 4, 2011.
  • They were fantastic to say the least!
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    I love the Georgia Red Wings. I have modified the recipe a little and do not soak them less than 36 hours. They are the favorite way to do wings at my house. They are the best.

B)B)B)
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!