Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guru adaptor installation and removal

Deckhand
Deckhand Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Strongly considering a Guru controller for my large BGE. Having never seen one, except in pictures, how easy is it to install/remove the adapter? Read that "it just snaps in" but it appears that you have to bend the little tab/stop down to slide it in place and do the same thing to remove it? Wouldn't this eventually fatigue the metal causing the tab to break off? I've run searches of the forum and Googled the subject but have yet to find a picture or video of someone sliding the adapter into place. Maybe it's so simple that no one thought it necessary to show it. They never had me in class. Someone enlighten me, please.

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    It is easy - it literally takes only a few seconds.!

The adaptor fits into the bottom track of the vent and then there is an adjustable clip that is on the top edge that you push up into the top track.

There is nothing to bend.
  • Thanks Bob... I checked the Guru site again, looked closely at the picture of the adapter and saw the clip. Also found the link showing detailed installation instructions. Guess I rode the short bus to school.
    Another forum member was describing his installation problems on the small but I see the adapter is different. Thanks again.
  •  
    The only problem you "may" have is when closing the screen over the right side of the adapter. I slide the screen and slider over the full adapter flange. Over time it has worn/torn the upper right edge of the screen and I now have a small gap. Probably pushing the guru flange in when sliding screen over might have eliminated the problem.

The wear/tear is in the upper right picture
    eggsettings455.jpg

GG
  • Thanks for the "Heads Up" Pics ARE worth a thousand words. I'll be careful when closing the screen.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    No problem at all I lost the little spacer a couple of years ago so dont even have one just put the adaptor in the track and close
  • Just got a Guru a couple weeks ago. It is a great little tool.

My screen would hang up on the flange at first. I took an adjustable wrench and used it to put a slight inward bend on the right side of the flange - now the screen and vent slide right over it.