Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where do you buy sausage caseing?

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Where do you look for sausage caseing and do you want natural or synthetic?
Food store or sporting store????
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Mickey,
    I found them at Sportsmans wharehouse. I always lean to natural but I have no experience using either
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Mickey
    Thanks, I do not have a clue?
    After the burgers from brisket today, thought what the hell-- got to try.... :unsure:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Funny you should ask, I just asked a local butcher for some and she would only sell it by the Hank? A Hank is enough for 100 lbs!!!! I didn't get any. Still looking. I prefer the natural casing myself.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I think you should!! I did have a sausage e-cookbook but it is in my dead computer. :( Every sausage you can think of was in there.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • I get mine at Gander Mountain or Bass Pro, I use the natural either lamp or pig work well.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Mickey
    JJ can you buy less than to do 100lbs?

• i have them in my grocery store, ask your meat dept manager or butcher

or here>> butcherpacker.com and also here>> sausagesource.com

you don't want synthetic
  • Mickey
    Thanks. Will try that first.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I prefer the natural, and during hunting season many grocery stores have them in the back. I can get them salt packed and frozen in #25 pound and 100# pouches. The casings are longer in the 100# pouch. They will be bound by a sting, which you untie and take a few out, then re-tie.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • i get a salted pack of maybe 10 casings, each about 9 feet long, in a pack for 4.95

call it a 25 pound pack then i guess

07_rinse_casings.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Geeze, people EAT that?!

I buy my casings at any local grocery store. They come with sausage already in 'em.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    I guesss what I've heard is true - you don't want to see sausage being made. Never made it myself, and have to say I prefer sausages that are made with natural casings - BUT - oh my. :woohoo:
  • they might have sausage in them, but it ain't the BEST sausage ;)
  • beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

:laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Maybe. Maybe not. But every sausage I've ever bought was FAR better than the one and only time I tried making my own. I took a three pound butt that could have been perfectly good pulled pork, ground it up and seasoned. Trying to make breakfast sausage. Ate two patties, threw the rest away. I don't eat much sausage anyway so I can live with it.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• just sayin...

fresh is always good, and if you make it yourself, it'll be better than anything.

did you follow a recipe?

can't besmirch home made sausage just because your only batch fell short.

like saying pork butt is just ok, because my fire went out the first time i tried makin it. :laugh:
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    If you are what you eat....I don't want to think about it. Was going to have brats later - maybe not. :S
  • Mickey
    Do you have any easy first timer way to make a all beef sausage with added jalapenos and cheddar cheese. This is a Kiolbassa brand that I buy and like and would like to copy.
    Have a KA and a KA stuffer attachement(never used).
    Would like to try say 3 lbs.

• Mickey,

There are 3 meat markets in Belton. I bet all three carry casings. My wife used to get them at the Bellville Meat Market when we lived there.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• i think you'll find most recipes written for a 5 pound batch.

all my recipes are straight from books. i'm not very original, but i can follow directions

i don't have a recipe for jalapeno and cheddar kielbasa...
  • Carolina Q
    Yeah, I know. I did follow a recipe, though I don't remember where I got it. It was more trouble than it was worth for someone who eats so little sausage anyway.

And I can besmirch my own food if I want!!! :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• can't help you there. more anecdotal evidence that our responses to food are generally more psychological than from anything to do with taste

my former boss thinks rare hamburger is disgusting, and always order well done. i ordered the same burger he did once when we went out for lunch, only got mine rare.

he raved about his, "see, can't beat it. best burger ever in fact" (to paraphrase) . mine was horrible.

i pointed out "hey, looks like they gave you mine" he looked and sure enough it was rare. couldn't finish it.

like getting sick on a type of booze, and not being able to drink it again. 'sgot nothin to do with the taste.
  • Mickey
    What do you think if changed out beef for pork?

• Mickey
    When did you live in Belton?
    Do not place that meat store.

• Mickey,

I never lived in Belton. My post said Bellville. I lived in Raccoon Bend, 8 miles northeast of Bellville.

I did a google on meat market Salado and the 3 meat markets in Belton popped up.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    oh :blush::whistle:

• just don't besmirch everyone else's without tryin it first. :laugh:

i find your train of thought phenomenal.

"i buy my sausages in a grocery store> even so, i don't like sausage anyway so i don't make it> i made it once, but i didn't like it> so i buy mine from a grocery store" -repeat- :laugh:

all in good fun.

you have no idea how illogical i am myself.
    for ex.) i buy books because i like to read. but when i buy a book i really like, i never read it because that would ruin the book.
  • Carolina Q
    Hmm. What I said was, I buy sausages from the grocery store. No more often than I do that, they're fine. I did not say that I didn't LIKE sausages - just that I don't have them often.

I tried making my own once because this place often causes one to do things one would never have otherwise thought about doing.

As for your reading habits, I have no response to that. I just don't. :blink: :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dunno what you like... i always start simple (basic brats, sweet or hot italian, etc.) and then work from there. try those two sausage websites for recipes. there are a lot of recipes out there.

i think cheese might work better with the beef, but who knows