Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread baking day

Options
SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:

On Tuesday (yeah, just now getting around to posting) EggHatter decided she wanted to bake some bread. So while I was at work she mixed up a couple of different kinds. I got home about 4:00pm and fired up both Large Eggs while the dough was in a rise period. The first type we did was a Whole Wheat Molasses...we were a bit rushed with this one as we had to be at Toastmasters at 6:30pm and with bread taking 30 to 35 minutes to bake and not putting it on until 5:45pm it didn't rise as much as we would have liked...here is one loaf on the Egg...
S092110-02.jpg

When it came off Egghatter brushed on some butter...the one on the right buttered, left getting happy...
S092110-07.jpg

Immediately took off to our meeting so we didn't slice it until later (really wanted a slice while hot, but not to be)...
S092110-09.jpg

Once we got home (I had left the Egg vents slightly open so could heat back up quickly) on went the other loaves...this one is Russian Black Bread, a rye bread...on the egg...
S092110-11.jpg

Both on the cooling racks...
S092110-12.jpg

and a slice from this one...a much denser bread than the first one...
S092110-13.jpg

Next time hopefully we won't be so rushed, but these did turn out fine.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    The loaves look amazing...

I've never made my own bread dough but I'd like to learn.

At Nieggara fest, we made some pork in a light rye bread dough. (we bought the dough at a local specialty bread store). It was delicious!

If you can provide any recipes (or links) for your bread dough that would be great.

Michael
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Hi Jay,

That is some really great looking bread, I can almost taste it from the photos. You and your wife have a fantastic skill at bread making from the looks of things. I'm like you when it comes to wanting it still warm with a little butter... YUM!
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Michael:

Thanks! We about to head out to our 4-year old grandson's soccer game, but check back later and I'll post the recipes.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Bob:

Thanks! Having a piece right out of the toaster as we "speak".

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Will do - thanks Jay!

Michael
  • Adult ADHD
    Options
    At least 10 of my extra pounds are from bread. I'll eat the Whole wheat molasses for you.
  • tcracing
    Options
    Great looking bread. I'm like you, I love hot bread. :woohoo:
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    They both look yummy!! Nothing better than freshly baked, warm buttered bread. Wish I had some.... ;)
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning All:

Had request for recipes, so here 'tis...

WHOLE WHEAT MOLASSES BREAD (2 loaves)

Ingredients:
    2.75 cups whole wheat flour
    1.5 -- 2 cups unbleached flour
    2 packages active dry yeast
    2 tablespoons caraway seeds (optional)
    1.75 cups water
    0.5 cup dark molasses
    0.25 cup packed brown sugar
    2 tablespoons shortening
    1 tablespoon salt

Process:
    In large mixer bowl, combine whole wheat flour & 1 cup unbleached flour, the yeast & caraway seeds. In saucepan, heat water, molasses, brown sugar, shortening & salt just til warm (115 to 120), stirring to melt shortening. Add to dry ingredients in bowl. Beat at low speed of electric mixer for 30 seconds scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. By hand stir in enough remaining unbleached flour to make a stiff dough. Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface; knead dough until smooth, 5 to 8 minutes. Shape into a ball. Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover & let rise til almost double in size, about 1.5 hours. Punch dough down. Divide dough in half. Cover loosely with damp towel; let rest 10 minutes. Shape into 2 slightly flatened 6 inch balls. Place both halves on a greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise til double, about 45 minutes. Bake loaves in 375 oven (Egg) till well browned, 30 to 35 minutes. For a more chewy crust, brush each loaf with warm water several times during the last 10 - 15 minutes of baking (we did this with one loaf and did see a slight difference in the crust). Remove from baking sheet immediately, cool on wire rack.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning All:

Here is the other recipe...

RUSSIAN BLACK BREAD (2 loaves)

Ingredients:
    4 cups unsifted rye flour
    3 cups unsifted white flour
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 cups whole bran cereal
    2 tablespoons caraway seeds, crushed
    2 teaspoons instant coffee
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    0.5 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
    2 packages active dry yeast
    2.5 cups water
    0.25 cup vinegar
    0.25 cup dark molasses
    1 square (1 oz.) unsweetened chocolate
    0.25 cup (0.5 stick) butter

Process:
    Combine rye & white flour. In large bowl thoroughly mix 2.5 cups flour mixture, sugar, salt, cereal, caraway seeds, coffee, onion powder, fennel seeds & undiscolved yeast.
    Combine 2.5 cups water, vinegar, molasses, chocolate & butter in a sauce pan. Heat over low heat until liquids are very warm (120 to 130). Butter & chocolate do not need to melt. Gradually add to dry ingredients & beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 0.5 cup flour mixture. Beat at high speed 2 minutes scraping bowl occasionally. Stie in enough additional flour mixture to make a soft dough. Turn out dough onto lightly floured board. Cover, let rest 15 minutes. Then knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 to 15 minutes (dough may be sticky). Place in greased bowl, turn to grease top. Cover, let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
    Punch dough down, turn out onto lightly floured board. Divide in half. Shape each half into a ball about 5 inches in diameter. Place each ball in the center of a greased 8" round cake pan. Cover, let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk about 1 hour.
    Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes or until done. Remove from pans & cool on wire racks.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Gator Bait
    Options

Good Morning Jay,

Your Wheat bread is very similar to a Shredded Wheat Bread that my mother would make for us after the weather had cooled off in New England and that I made many times for my parents after they got to old to make it. I think the original recipe came from the White Lily Flour Company way back when.

SHREDDED WHEAT BREAD

2 pkgs. yeast
    1/4 c. lukewarm water
    2 c. boiling water
    4 large Nabisco Shredded Wheat Biscuits, crumbled well
    3 tbsp. butter
    1 tbsp. salt
    1/3 c. molasses
    5-6 c. flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water with 1 teaspoon sugar. Let stand. Pour boiling water over shredded wheat crumbs. Add butter, salt, molasses and remaining sugar. Stir well. Let stand until lukewarm. I would float the bowl in a sink of ice water and stir it to speed this along, making homemade bread is slow enough as is. When it got down to about 110º I would add the yeast, much hotter and you can kill the yeast as I'm sure you already know. Stir in yeast. Add flour until dough is smooth. Turn out onto work surface and knead more flour into it, a good pastry scraper is a valuable tool.

Let rise in a bowl sprayed with PAM or similar product until double in bulk, lightly spray the surface of the dough with PAM and it will not dry out. Wet a clean dish towel with warm water and wring it out and use to cover bowl of dough, it too will help keep dough moist. Punch down and knead lightly then divide. Shape into loaves. Let rise until double in bulk in greased (PAM) bread pans. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then 375, 30 minutes. When turned out of the pans, thump the bottom of the loaf, it should have a hollow sound to it. Brush with butter to make golden. Cool before slicing or if your like me and have to have some while it is still warm an electric knife will work great on warm loaves.

I would double the recipe to make 3 large 9 X 5 loaves and let it rise well above the pans. These loaves would be spectacular and would fill a regular oven.

This is a rather sweet bread that makes the worlds best toast and when buttered add a poached egg on top or just drizzle with a a little honey. It is also fantastic for a great homemade baked bean or meat loaf sandwich, or a tuna fish sandwich with a little horse radish mixed in to liven it up a little.

LOL, Gotta go, the drool is bad! Drool_20.gif

Blair