Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing Hot Platesetter

Options
RWL61
RWL61 Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Seems like a dumb question. I recently purchased a Medium BGE to keep at my son's house so when we travel up from TN so I have something to cook on. I have a Large at home. I have been trying wings on the BGE and found that I have better luck with the indirect method, then finishing over direct heat while basting. We removed the plate setter and my son used a welders glove and damn near burnt his hand through the glove and he didn't have it in his hand very long. What do you guys use to remove a hot plate setter? Should I cook wings indirect or raise the grate and cook direct? Thanks for your help

Comments

• Buckethead
    Options
    Use welders gloves but have a place to put PS down in a VERY SHORT time. (seconds) Cast iron has the same quick attention getting response.
    DMo
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    I use welding gloves, have the "path & drop spot" clear and ready, and never take over 2 Mississippi to get it out of hand!!!!
    Oh, and the gloves are off 1 Mississippi later...
    Kent Madison MS
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    I use silicone gloves to remove the plate setter. I don't spend a lot of time holding on to it - basically take it off the fire ring and place it on some wood beside the egg. If I hold onto the plate setter for too long, it gets hot so I try to minimize how long I hold onto it.

In terms of wings indirect or direct. I cook them indirect and finish them direct. I don't know or care if it's the right thing to do. It works for me.

I place the wings on the grill indirect, close the lid without having to worry about flare ups and go about my business. Usually piling the wings in the centre. Once the wings are cooked - a nice crispy golden brown, I place them in a metal bowl with some sauce, remove the plate setter and then put the sauced wings back on the grill. At this point, I leave the dome opened and tend to the wings adding more sauce, etc. until they're done. I don't like them charred.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Michael
  • RWL61
    Options
    Thanks for the information folks, looks like we weren't too far off using the gloves, just have to be quick! Michael, agree with your prcedure, I am using the same method and it worked with great results when I was up visiting last weekend.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Make a place for the plate setter while it's cold and make it close by. I have extra fire bricks sitting around. Try to have a place ready when the time comes.

I use the third hand it works wonderful. Also have a place for it or have two people working together.

It's great to hear you and your family are cooking together. Tim ;)
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    As much as I love cooking on the egg and the results, I prefer to spend time with my family / guests (sounds like you do too) so I try to develop cooking methods that allow me to do that.

In most cases, if you leave the egg alone (dome closed) you get better results. My father used to say - "let the tool do the work". I'm all for that! Besides it's saves time for more beer! And I'm all for that too!

Cheers,

Michael
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    I've burned through all the pot holders we have... pulling off the plate setter
    context is important :)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    There is an enormous variety of welding gloves out there, and they are generally made to protect the hands from radiant heat while welding, and on occasion for handling hot work pieces. Cheap usually means less insulation....

Check out a local welding store for heavy duty gloves, and also see if they have welders mittens, as they are easy on and off. These Lava Shield mits are one choice.

http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/10-4700.html
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RWL61
    Options
    Thanks for the link thirdeye, those look like some sturdy gloves
  • James MB
    Options
    This post is probably long dead but a tip I picked up from TVWB was to put normal (ie warm/insulated) gloves underneath disposable food gloves to pull pork - then you get the heat resistance.
    I guess the same could be done under welding gloves, though the leather would only hold out so long.