Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dumb wood source question

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Often the old hickory trees and oaks in my woods will drop dead branches and limbs. Can those be cut into chunks for smoking or is that more trouble then it's worth? I recall someone saying that he uses branches from orchard prunings, but wouldn't those have to be dried for a year or so???

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    one feral kat,[p]Dried on the tree can produce a decent smoke. They will need to be very well soaked as they are quite dry and will tend to burn rather than produce smoke. Most of the smoke flavor has been lost. I would offer that it is not worth the effort.[p]Like good firewood, smoking wood should be cut live (but at a time when the sap is not running) and then aged for a year prior to use.[p]Spin[p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    one feral kat,[p]I agree with Spin. I use a little hichory from the yard. Be sure to remove the bark though. Your after the wood not the bark which imparts a bitter taste sometimes.[p]Let me know if an apple tree falls over in your area.[p]Tim