Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Barbeque competition in Ireland in April 2011, any

Options
irishrog
irishrog Posts: 375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,
As part of the Riverfest Festival in Limerick , Ireland on 30th April 2011 the organisers are holding a barbeque competition.
This competition has run for a number of years and is a great fun event whic draws an estimated 30,000 spectators over the course of the day.
The event is organised on behalf of the city of Limerick and the organisers provide all the barbeques (not eggs), charcoal, and some food. Last year there were about 35 teams entered and next year they plan to have over 50.
Anybody who is travelling in this part of the world at that time will be more than welcome to come along and visit, and if you would like to cook you will be especially welcome, and I can guarantee you a great days fun. Please contact me if you are interested and I will arrange everything for you.
I won overall first prize in this event this year so I am really looking forward to some new competition for next years event.
Here are a few photos of last year to give you a taste of the atmosphere which goes with this event.
P1000389.jpg
P1000339.jpg
P1000292.jpg
P1000288.jpg
P1000281.jpg
P1000272.jpg
P1000235-1.jpg
P1000437.jpg
I look forward to plenty of interest.
Greetings from Ireland, Roger

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Options

Great post Roger, that looks like a lot of fun. You couldn't take photos like that in this country, everyone in yours are to skinny. Over here we think of our Big Green Egg's like we do our pets and you know what they say about people and their pets looking alike! :lol:

Good luck on your next competition, if I win the loto between now and then I'll be there. ;)

Blair

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    WOW!!! We would love to make it to that party. But we will be on a cruise ship in Hawaii. Maybe next year.

Spring "Half Irish, Half Scotch, And Half Cajun" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    looks like a ton of fun!
  • irishrog
    Options
    Hi Leroy,

I will be passing through next month on the way to a cruise on the eastern carribbean, and will overnight in Port Canaveral or somewhere on 23rd October, just for 1 night. Someday, I will make the time to visit, I promise.

Irish, would like to visit my American friends, Rog
  • irishrog
    Options
    Hi Blair,
    It's not just in America people look like their eggs, Why do you think I dont get an XL, my latest aquisition was a mini LOL
    Roger
  • irishrog
    Options
    Yes it is.
    The barbeque is just 1 event in a festival which goes on for 4 days.
    Limerick city is built beside the river Shannon so there are many water based events, but also outdoor markets, street entertainment, fireworks, art events, and the whole weekend is 1 big celebration.
    Dont ask what we are celebrating, nobody seems to know, but the Irish do love a party, and this whole weekend is a hell of a party.
    Role on 30th April!!!!!
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I've been to Limerick. 15 years ago. Nice Country out there. Looks like a good time at that event too. Why do the lads not have Guinness?

Love the guys dressed in red. Had one of them at a baseball game running on the field the other day. Kid was 17. Irish kid? I'm sure it will come up on Google. Here it is. LOL.

http://www.thefightins.com/meechone/moron-in-a-red-body-suit-runs-onto-the-field-at-citizens-bank-park/
  • irishrog
    Options
    Hi Andrew,
    Not all Irish guys drink Guinness, especially during the day, as it can be quite heavy and filling.
    Saying that, some Irish guys do drink Guinness, all day, every day, and would not have a word said against it.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Yeah I know. Just stereotyping. :laugh:

I do like the stuff, but don't find it too thick, just different. It's good for you too. Ever mix it into your cooking? They do Guinness fish and chips at an Irish pub in Raleigh here. Pretty good too. Just like beer batter I suppose.
  • irishrog
    Options
    Most things are good for you in moderation, Guinness especially so.
    I use it in beer batter, but also in Christmas Puddings and Christmas cakes, it gives great richness to the mixtures
  • Gator Bait
    Options

You may be onto something there Roger, I may have to pick up a small and see if that helps. ;)

Blair

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Roger that looks to be one hell of a party.
    Wish you the best next year.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Roger,

I work for an Irish company and travel there about 6 times a year. I may just have to work that into my normal travel and spend a few days more there. Of course I will have to bring my 100% Irish American wife along or there will be an Irish temper to deal with! :angry:

Slainte,

John

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Looks like great fun !!! Thanks for the pictures.

I bet there is lamb BBQ there. That's the only animals I saw when I visited.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• eenie meenie
    Options
    Roger, if there is an Oireachtas nearby in 2011 I might be inclined to participate in the BBQ!

Thanks for sharing the photos. Looks like an awesome event.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I sure did enjoy the pic's. Thanks Roger :)
  • irishrog
    Options
    Hi John,
    If you can work it into your schedule we would love to have you join us, it is a really fun weekend, not just for the cook off but the whole town parties for 3 days.
    Let me know if your schedule suits and I will sort things out at this end.
    What part of Ireland do you travel to?
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Roger,

I travel to Dublin, our offices are in city west but I usually stay in town at the Westbury so I can walk the 20 feet to McDade's for my pints. I have been to many parts but not as much as my daughter who spent a month there last summer. I have a number of close friends that I can stay with and it is not far to travel for some fun and food!

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!