Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally, Brisket Success

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have finally been able to consistently turnout some decent briskets. While not an original idea and against the rules for some purest, I have been using aluminum foil after 5 hours.[p]This method seems to produce moist, tender results consistently, but now, I have to learn to do without the foil.[p]There was some great brisket at Eggtoberfest. Any recommendations out there?[p]Smokey

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Smokey,
    As far as I'm concerned, if you are happy with your results with foil, why worry? Foil and let foil, I say. Or something like that, LOL!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • NCMike
    NCMike Posts: 28
    Options
    Smokey,
    I always use foil for the last 90-120 minutes and have never had a bad brisket since using that method. I usually put it on about 9:00AM at around 250*, take it off about 4-4:30 and wrap in foil and when the internal reaches 200* it's done. Never dry or tough. There's no better way in my opinion-you don't have to cook it any longer to get a damn fine brisket.

• Smokey
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]That works fine for me!! I still would like to master the are of brisket w/o the foil!![p]
  • Smokey
    Options
    NCMike,[p]
    The results were consistently good. I've made some shoe leather before, but foil has made me a rethink brisket. I actually like "good" BBQ beef more than pork, but much of the stuff I have made in the past just best suited for the dog.[p]Smokey

• NCMike
    NCMike Posts: 28
    Options
    Smokey, and of course I forgot to add that after wrapping it in foil I put it back on the Egg a couple more hours until internal is 200*. Never a tough brisket again.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smokey,
    so what's wrong with foil??. . after watching a thing on the food channel where they showed some championship 'q' team from oklahoma. . .they did a five hour brisket. . .2 hours at 250 degrees with plenty of smoke, then foiled and stuck back in the smoker at 300 degrees for 3 more hours. . .and this at a competition where everyone is smoking them all night. . .produces a great smoked, juicy moist brisket. . .and still not a 'pot roast'. . ..[p]car wash mike does them this way as well (at least i think he does). . .. great brisket, without having to tend the egg all night. ...can't beat that. . .heee

• Sandlapper
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Saw a neat clip on how foil is made...might have been on one of Alton's science lessons....I use it by the truckload...

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Smokey, here is a link to an article by Smokey Hale about brisket that you might find interesting. (He does have some strong viewpoints on some subjects).

[ul][li]Brisket[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery