Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Made it!! On schedule.

'Q Bruddah
'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's the result
IMAG0211.jpg

I really liked the set up three on the bottom one on the top.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Looks perfect!! Great job Steve!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Looks perfect. I've been following all day. Congrats.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  •  
    Those look great. Have a good time.

Kent
  • WOW! Can't wait to try my second butt......I'll be asking for more advise for Q and the rest of the forum. First one came out really, really, really goo...now it's time for perfection and those look like it. Cheers
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Steve do not see how it could be any better. WOW....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Well there you go. Did you run low on lump or did you end up opening the vents a little more? I'm sure all your parishioners will love your cook. ;) :P Tim
  • Thanks, Molly. When cooking for a crowd you'd like it to go smooth. Instead it was interesting. You learn something from every cook. I learned that I really liked the set up here. Without a rig I was pleased to have everything above the fire ring. I also learned in real terms this is a very forgiving cook.
  • Chief, at times it was downright exciting. Will he make it? Will he make it? When all was said and done I pretty much hit my target of 4PM with a fair amount of finagling.
  • Dear, Brother Grub, from the bottom of my heart, thanks. I sure appreciated the help getting over the hump. Having you alongside made all the difference.

It wasn't my first long cook but it was presenting its own challenges. I have made enough pulled pork to have formed an opinion about what is and what is not good pulled pork. This pork was THE BEST I have ever had. All four bones were spotlessly clean and emerged with the slightest twist. The meat was as tender and juicy as I have ever had.

I cooked for forty and fed thirty some. I knew I needed two but didn't know if I'd need three butts. They come two to a pack 'round here. I actually had two shoulders still in the cooler. I had LOTS o'sides.

Again, thanks. I could probably have muddled through alone but it was a whole lot more fun with your help.
  • Jumping Joe,
    As I have proven today, butts are a really forgiving cook. If you are patient the rewards are absolutely astounding. The egg and this forum will make you a BBQ genius.
  • Mickey, one of the truly amazing parts is that all the meat came off at once. I only have one $13 Walmart remote thermometer and I checked each one as I pulled it and all were in the zone. If you think they look good you shoulda tasted some. Its not me, its the egg, believe me.
  • Tim, first of all it was good to touch base with you today. It had been too long.

I opened up the vents to the point that if I had had enough lump it would have torched the meat. As it was I had opened them up and got it to 250° only to have it lose temp about an hour later. I looked in and could see I was in serious need of fuel. So, I pulled it apart raked the ash, huddled the embers in the middle, added a little lump and the rest, as they say, is history. Its amazing how well the egg works when you give it what it wants, fuel, heat and air.

As for my guests...well, I'd say that undoubtedly some were Northwesterners, who had never actually eaten a Carolina sandwich with pulled pork and slaw. Others have probably been subjected to restaurant imitations and facsimiles. A few were knowledgeable, having partaken of the heavenly food in its natural environment. In the end, however, the compliments were free flowing. I have to pinch myself because I know what I do and how much is really due to the egg. If people want to think of me as a super bbq chef and an outstanding human being, who am I to burst their bubble?

Once again it was good to talk to you, keep the grass short!!