Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5 hour butt cook

Options
SpecialK-MD
SpecialK-MD Posts: 40
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Home made butt rub
photo.JPG
photo%201.JPG
Injection
photo%203.JPG
photo%204.JPG
Injected
photo%205.JPG
Torch
photo%201.JPG
Fire
photo%202.JPG
Rubbed and ready
photo%203.JPG
Into the smoke
photo%204.JPG
Home made Georgian style BBQ sauce
photo.JPG

Comments

• JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    What temp did you cook at?
  • KenHawk
    Options
    Were you watching the meat temp as well?
  • SpecialK-MD
    Options
    Cooked at 350-400 for the entire cook. At 160 internal I foiled (that took about 3 hours). Then another 2-2.5 hours to get it to 200 internal. Rested for about 2-3 hours. Everyone raved about it, and one friend of mine claimed it was the best pulled pork he had ever eaten.
  • SpecialK-MD
    Options
    Rest time was more out of necessity as I had to transport it to a friend's house and we weren't eating for 2-3 hours. One of he butts only rested 60 minutes and was fine.

As far as foiling goes, I don't know. I've always foiled and got excellent results so didn't really have a reason not to. I've read that foiling can speed the time to temp without causing problems and I usually foil with apple juice in the foil for added moisture. But I haven't done a head to head comparison. I've also read that injecting a butt vs not yields negligible difference in results, but I personally haven't done a comparison. But why mess with perfection?