Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First (small) brisket and country style ribs

Options
Grub Blogger
Grub Blogger Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought about 4 pounds of country-style ribs (really pork loin butterflied with a little bone on each side) and was kinda staring at a packer full brisket, which I want to try soon. Butcher convinced me to but a piece of flat he had, about 3.5 pounds. I figured it would cook in the same time as the ribs, more or less, so I took it home. "Ribs" came off after 6 hours. Left brisket on another hour. Between 210* and 230*. Both spent an hour in the cooler in aluminum foil. Pork was great, different flavors and textures for the different cuts of meat. Brisket came out really nice. I would like it a bit more tender (I think it could've stayed on longer - not all the collagen turned into gelatin), but it was durn good and not dry- and better than a lot of the BBQ joints that fake the funk here in North Texas. Really happy overall.

++

First%20Brisket%20003.JPG
++
First%20Brisket%20004.JPG
++
First%20Brisket%20005.JPG
++
First%20Brisket%20006.JPG
++
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_4gKhTreUssk/TJWDheL9JqI/AAAAAAAACM8/78quidvttfc/s720/First Brisket 038.JPG[img size=150][/img]
++
First%20Brisket%20039.JPG
++
First%20Brisket%20041.JPG
++
First%20Brisket%20046.JPG

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Looks mightyfine

Did you slice the brisket against the grain?
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Looking really nice! Country style ribs are nice meaty bite! My little store for some reason call them hollywood ribs? No idea why but always have and usually they have them on sale. Did some last week myself little mustard and light dusting of dizzy pig for 6 hours then finished with blues sauce
    a few hours in
    090910007.jpg
    Dang think I got to go get some for today now :lol:
  • Grub Blogger
    Options
    Fortunately now, but unfortunately at the time, I learned the importance of slicing against the grain awhile back by destroying a perfectly good skirt steak. I think another hour on the smoker and it would've been there. I pulled it at around 195, worrying I would dry it out - which was not a problem at all. In the end, I am mighty happy with the result. I look forward to doing a whole packer and making burnt ends.
  • Grub Blogger
    Options
    Looks good! I think I will slice them into pieces like you have next time. Seems I can get more smoke and rub on them that way.