Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Repairing Aglets Idea That Works

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in Off Topic
One of the side benefits of the Big Green Egg Forum is watching and reading about all the great ideas that Eggheads come up with. Not all ideas are Egg related, and some not even food related, but they are still great ideas.

Here's an idea for when you need to repair an Aglet.

Oh, I might have to explain what it is because most people have never heard of it. But it is one of mankind's better inventions. It's the little plastic thingee on the end of a shoelace that keeps the lace from frizling and also makes it easy to lace up a shoe.

So what do you do when an Aglet needs repairing? Do like me, and get out my assorted sizes package of electrical shrink wrap, thread about half an inch up into the tube, cut off the excess and then apply heat to shrink the tube snuggly onto the lace.

I just had to do two laces this morning. Took all of four minutes.

Eglet.jpg

I saved a trip to the store for an unneeded pair of laces that often are too long and need to be trimmed shorter anyway. But that messes up the tip and you're back to where you started.

I figure I used a nickle's worth of shrink tubing and no trip to the store.

You're welcome

Spring "Needs Shrinking" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• dude. you need to get out more. :laugh:
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Haaaaaa!!! I agree, but it's not my style to go out in public without a complete set of functioning aglets.

Spring "Former Fasion Faux Pas'er" Chicken
  • at yer age, i bet yer happy to have a functioning anything...

(oh no he din't!!!)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I love it Leroy... a lot of my generation and the ones coming up just go get new and toss the old..."it is only shoe laces" only .89 cents..... My Nanadad did this too. that is my grandfather :) she was Nana so he was Nanadad :)
    STIKE!!! shame on you ( :blush::whistle: :P )
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    If you wern't so D$R&*old you would not have to repair them, Just go barefoot.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Never went barefoot after the first time my foot stuck to the hot tar on the pavement going to school. In spite of that incident I'm living to be...."ripe" not "old."

Spring "Don't Step On The Hot Spot" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I thought all Maine people were tight with a dollar.

I lived in town during the school months but on my grandfaather's farm during the summer. My Dad wanted me to experience life as he knew it growing up. As such, I learned more during those summers than I did in all the classes I attended at school.

Among my learned talents was making soap, planting crops, making cane-syrup, rounding up free-range cattle by horseback, castrating pigs, making bacon and smoking hams, digging outhouses, poking water wells, and a zillion other things that will one day be detailed in a book.

I also learned to make and repair shoes. They weren't pretty but they were comfortable if you wore thick socks and they lasted a long time.

Don't mind St!ke. He's just fun'n with me.

Spring "One Cow Don't Make A Herd" Chicken