Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frontier Lump at Sam's Club

Options
jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's kind of sad that a guy sitting in the middle of the largest charcoal producing region in the United States can buy Mexican hardwood charcoal for about 25% less than the best deal available on domestic. However, as long as Sam's has 40 pound bags of Frontier for 15 bucks, that is the case. I was skeptical when my wife brought home the first bag, but the stuff burns hot and has a very pleasant and very neutral aroma. I recommend it, if you haven't tried it yet. When Best Choice and Ozark Oak are 5 and 6 dollars for 10 pounds, this makes a good alternative. In markets where BC and OO are higher, Frontier is even more attractive. The 40 pound bag is kind of a pain, but it seems that the larger bag size accommodates larger chunks better than smaller bags, so there's an up side to it. I did not notice the small pieces mentioned in Naked Whiz's review of Frontier.

Comments

• antmara
    Options
    I have bought 2 bags of Frontier from Sam's, and for the price you can't beat it (40# at $14.98, or BGE 20# at $18.97). It has a lot of VERY big pieces, but also has alot of fines. The first 2/3 of both bags I have bought were great, kind of got dicey towards the bottom, have found beer bottle caps, and what looks to be lava rocks in both bags.
    I have used it for 600 degree steak cooks, and 15 hour brisket cooks, and it worked well for both. For what it's worth, it's what I will continue to buy as long as the price is right.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I have never reviewed Frontier charcoal from Mexico....
    The Naked Whiz
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Options
    I saw these the other day and was tempted to buy it but I still have some of my Fire King lump left. I get this at a small grocer for 10.99 for 20#. That is a smokin deal for lump but didn't know it was from mexico. I'll have to think about it .. damn that is cheap.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    What parts of the country seem to have this? My Sam's has never had any lump charcoal that I know of, despite being located only 2 miles from the world headquarters of The Lump Charcoal Database.
    The Naked Whiz
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    We have it available in AZ. -RP
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    I've tried it seems to work good for me nice big chunks and smaller pieces also
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    They sell the 40lb bag in OKC..

Never have used the stuff. I can buy a 10lb bag for 4.35 at our local Crest food store.

I still have plenty of Wicked Good to use up. 80 lbs worth..
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Sells for $14.27 at Sam's in Corpus

I have gone through 4 bags and have had dome temps over 800 and several low and slows.

I changing the way I'm lighting cause it pops so much when lighting with a weed burner - I'm talkin dodging 1/2" pieces and a lot of them. Don't light without safety glasses or while barefooted if using a weed burner. Once lit it seems to be fine.
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    The 40# bag looks just like the 10# bag in your review. It says in very small print, "Made in Mexico". It is unquestionably dense hardwood. I assumed mesquite, but after reading your review, would say those species are more likely. It doesn't have the mesquite twang to the smoke...much more mild.

I'm in Springfield MO, and have only been a Sam's member for a few weeks. They didn't have any lump 4 weeks ago. The last couple times I've been in (middle of last week and this weekend) there has been a monster stack of 40# bags.
  • Ozarkshooter
    Options
    Wow, sounds like you and everyone else is having success with it. I bought a bag (hard to pass up the price!) right after getting my second egg - an XL.

I had A LOT of difficulty getting up to temperature. Was beginning to think I forgot how to light an egg and was starting to get buyer's remorse on the XL. :angry:

Then, about halfway through the 40# bag, I went out and bought a bag of Ozark Oak - which I had been using for years on my Med BGE. Boy, what a difference :woohoo: - I have FAR MORE luck using the Ozark Oak. I now buy nothing else.

I guess, to each his own! :)
    Happy Egging!!
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    We have it in the Dallas area.
  • antmara
    Options
    Jackson MS has it pretty consistently at Sam's.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    I remember the old "Picnic" lump that Pac and Serve (the Mfgr) used to market!! Probably the best all around lump I've ever used/bought!

As much as I wanted to like the Frontier product..,(especially considering the price) I'd have to say after a coupl'a bags??

I'm officially labeling it...CRAP!

Yes...it's better than nothing...but not by much!!

Evans

BTW...Ace carries it also in 20'lbrs.

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    I will agree that it is slow to light, but once lit, it burns hotter than Ozark Oak (my standard). I'm going to try some different lighting methods. I usually use one fiber and paraffin starter stick right in the middle. I think I'll try my chimney on the next cook.

I also noticed that the Frontier held low temperatures very well. I smoked some jerky recently and had to hold the temps sub-200 for 3 hours. That has been a problem in the past, but it went very well this time.
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    Hmmmm.

I think it's pretty good and you think it's crap. :huh:

What do you know that I don't? :blink:
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    The bag I reviewed was from Argentina or the US. They have a lot of oak in Mexico, too, so it could be that. Quebracho....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    From what my friends tell me...I don't know much at all!!

:woohoo:

Honestly...it's probably not a bad lump to use, (if you mix it with other stuff)...but on it's own, I just wasn't very impressed!

Goodn's!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • jball
    jball Posts: 63
    Options
    I have had similar results. Works well until the last 3-4 lbs and then it's pretty close to crumbs and dust. I usually just toss it out at that point. Still gives a good overall value IMO.
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    I bought this when I first got my egg because I did not realize the vast array of hardwood lump available and the differences between them all.

I have nothing to compare it too based on lighting speed or heat, but I do not think I will be purchasing this again unless necessary. It likes to "pop" quite a bit and can shower your food in ash if not careful. I did some ribs using the CWM method and the lump starting popping during the last phase (when turned to 275) and started to get some ash on my dish that I had the ribs in. I had a plate setter in place as well. The fire had been burning around 225 for a good 4-5 hours before this occurrence :ermm: .
  • Egglectic
    Egglectic Posts: 95
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • Egglectic
    Egglectic Posts: 95
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    We have it in West TN. I've never tried it.
  • SmokinFizx
    Options
    I have to agree with you Stephen. I gave up and started using the rest of the Frontier in my fire pit for the girls to roast marshmallows over. I can usually find Ozark Oak on sale at Harter House every couple of months. I do get some strange looks though when I buy a complete cart full and no groceries. :laugh:

For anyone that lives in the Ozarks and hasn't tried them, Harter House is a local grocery store chain that still has a full butcher shop in each store. Not high school kids behind a meat counter but 4 or 5 real butchers that enjoy cutting and prepping great meat.
  • RiverRatSkier
    Options
    Sam's club in a north suburb of Minneapolis had this in June and in August. I bought a bag from each (haven't opened the second one yet, as I had a bunch of cowboy already). The first one seems like it has an inconsistant char to it (some brown some black) and smokes quite a lot. Also, not the easiest to light. But it does seem to burn well (high and low) once it's going.
  • FF/Medic Egghead
    Options
    It pops WAY TOO MUCH!!
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Options
    Yikes, think I'll stick to my fire king .. its always easy to light and very consistent.
  • Smallbore
    Options
    I just bought some of this as well. I got it home and read the review (I belive it was on Naked Whiz). It's Mexican woods of some kind. I'm not sure about it and I am having trouble lighting it but I was having trouble on the last of the BGE bag also. But it sure was cheap. It was on $14 for 40#s in Springfield, MO. I wish I could find some Fire King locally. I only live a little over 2 hours from where it's made.
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    Smallbore,

Ozark Oak and Best Choice are available at Harter House all the time, usually for around 5 bucks for 10 pounds. I Don't know Fire King, but I've never tried anything better than Ozark Oak and Best Choice is a very close second. Give the Frontier a chance, though. I'm pretty happy with it.
  • Braumiester
    Options
    I can get Fire King(made in Missouri by an American)for 16.95$ for 40#, it has served me well for years B);)